A New Grey Skin??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BigPixel, Apr 9, 2007.

Would You Like an All Grey Skin Here?

Poll closed Apr 19, 2007.
  1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

I would like to see a new grey skin added similar to the "default style" (not Nikon default). With the Default style we have a light blue main field, medium blue side bar and a dark blue title top bar. Just make all three areas shades of grey and perfecto IMHO!

2. the blue works just fine for me, but it would be nice to have an option for those for want it, if it's not too much trouble to do it.
    Gee this sounds kinda moderate, maybe even a little conformist, I must be getting old.:confused:

3. Hmm, not sure I like it. Sounds like exactly what I'm going through as I'm getting older, all of me turning into various shades of grey, at least what hair I've got left ..... :wink:

4. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Its just that grey is neutral and allows for the best possible view of posted images without color influence just like when editing in PS. You do work in a neutral color space don't you? Why would the option of a personal choice bother anyone else?????

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2007
  5. Hey, Mike, I like that, rather than "I'm getting old and going Gray", I now can simply tell people, "I'm just going Neutral!!!" :wink: :wink: :biggrin:

Just joking with you Mike, guess the large number of Gray Days we've been having lately are making me a touch anti-Gray, wait, I'm old, that's not good .... :biggrin: :biggrin:

On a more serious note, I think if you search in the Cafe Office there was a similar thread going on a month or two ago, I don't remember what the outcome was.

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Just remember guys, 60 is the new 40.

Mike, some new skins would be cool. [imgn]https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/images/icons/icon14.gif[/imgn] Here are some resources, let's see what you got.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  7. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

I got nuthin but suggestions Chris....Grey, medium grey, darker grey. :rolleyes:

8. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    I think it's Adobe that suggest the workflow on images is undertaken with a grey background and grey desktop to reduce glare and eye strain; apparently colours show better. :wink:

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Well here's the thing - whipping up a skin from scratch (or modifying an existing one) is a non-trivial exercise. Meaning, it's a lot of work!

10. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

didn't know that. I thought Patrick and the admins could just select a new color scheme from a list of items.

11. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    Well, looking at the resources link provided by Chris, and it appears that new skins cost about $30. If y'all can come up with a consensus on a skin that is easy on the eyes and easy to read, I'll buy it and donate it. I'm currently using the gray/blue skin, but wouldn't mind a grey with charcoal or similar, especially with respect to the repy box areas.

I tried looking through some of them, but it's a little too boring for my tastes. :biggrin:

So, if you want and it is acceptable to the admin, maybe pick 2 or 3 that will work and then have another poll to select the winner. I'd have to know how or to whom to send the zip file once purchased. :wink:

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    We have a grey background
    whats wrong with that. My eyes sure like it

13. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Its just that some of us find the light blue sidebar alongh with the grey distracting Gale.

14. Hi there,
    as already mentioned some months(?) ago, with the Firefox extension "Stylish", the Café already looks like this for me:

[​IMG]

It looks the Nikon way, has a default grey background which is comfortable to look at. Just a handful of CSS lines to modifiy the look that way. In any case (more users using the FF plugin to "locally" modify the style, or admins creating a modified Nikon style from it), I'm willing to share my CSS modifications.

And if someone eventually replaces the logo with this one...
    [​IMG]
    which has a transparent sorrounding, even that would look perfect (hint, hint!).

P.S. Of course you can also tweak it to be all grey (instead of yellow) but I found that too dull, so I kept it that way.

15. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    You gotta be kdding...lol

16. A grey skin has potential...:rolleyes:

Dennis