A new look for me

Hey friends!

I know I know... here again, gone again... Business has been really good but that prevents me from coming to play. I hope to do more of it! Really!

Speaking of playing, I got to spend 4 days with a veteran (as in she's been in photography longer than I, but I'm actually a few years older!) photographer friend of mine this week. We studied a variety of master photographers and did a bunch of research on post production techniques etc... here's the product and I'm completely open to any and all feedback. This BW process is new too... using a 50% fill layer with the blending mode set to Hue (and will probably need a mid boost as a result, but the whites stay very much in tact!).

357106837_Xpnwr-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

357106991_47cUF-XL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sean and Nick: Kodachrome... ok, I'll take that :) Loved the stuff myself! Nice bright colors, greens of summers... yup... that works :) Overall, the film folks are getting more excited over this whole idea, both BW and color...

Linda: I'm goofing with something new to add... not replace, but I'll tell ya, I've gotten a ton of emails from my blog watchers so it just may be commercial! We'll see I guess... thanks for the feedback! Still very much a work in progress.

Thanks Spalding. So funny. On another forum, the BW is the favored... a testament to the subjective nature of this art... what I love is that the whites don't get blown and there's a ton of control... that said, I'm sure I have a lot of finessing, tweaking and experimenting ahead of me. thanks for the feedback!

Oh, and I forgot to sharpen the originals so these are sharpened, hopefully enough. I got accused of oversmoothing the skin on another forum, but I honestly haven't touched it at all.

Love them both. Can you provide any additional details?

really, it's dodging the highlight on like 3-5% and same with burning the shadows 3-5%... that's a big part of it. I did some simulated HDR with the sky b/c it was more blown in the original capture (i didn't pull my flash, bad me). What I really like about the process is that it really makes you look at the light, really look, and how the highlights and shadows interplay, what the image needs etc. So even if I were to scrap the entire look, I'm really learning from the process.

Linda: I'm goofing with something new to add... not replace, but I'll tell ya, I've gotten a ton of emails from my blog watchers so it just may be commercial! We'll see I guess... thanks for the feedback! Still very much a work in progress.

I understand, I goof around all the time :biggrin: I think perhaps the processing would have better worked with a moody senior? What do you mean by being commercial?

I understand, I goof around all the time :biggrin: I think perhaps the processing would have better worked with a moody senior? What do you mean by being commercial?

You mean a moody 4 year old doesn't work? LOL! Commerical as in commercial appeal... a saleable product. I like using unconventional stuff in my kiddie work though, keeps it interesting. We'll see. I'm dying to see a print. Thanks for the feedback!

How far are you going to be from Charlotte? Good luck on your move! I did the PA to NC thing :)

Just for giggles... someone asked for this so I thought I'd share here too... just a close up of what I did on the face:
357283881_mUS4p-XL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I can't wait, only 2 weeks left! Who knows, I don't even know Charlotte is...heck, I hardly know where NC is. haha..

Latest threads

Top Bottom