A new model

Discussion in 'People' started by olshroom, Oct 7, 2017.

1. This is the first session with this young lady. I was very pleased with the way she worked on the shoot. She is a beauty.
    _DSC5719_pp. _DSC5785_pp. _DSC5731_pp.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  2. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    Is this green screen and background replacement? It’s pretty easy to spot.

3. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    #2 and 3 are very nice. But her legs looks really strange in #1, especially her right foot and underneath the purse.

4. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Jim, are you able to add a shadow?
    It will look more natural then...

Regards
    Klaus

5. Yup, green screen. Wish it wasn't so easy to spot. Most of my model shoots are with a green screen but some are on site.

6. Hi Klaus, I agree a shadow would help. I figured out how to make shadows in 5 easy steps. Hope you like this one. Please let me know. Jim
    _DSC5785_pp copy.

7. Oh my, that shadow is terrible. Back to the drawing board.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I think the idea behind this photo shoot is solid. Issue is that the post processing with something like this requires a delicate touch. These images have mixed lighting sources (white balance) within the frame--which makes it look off upon first glance. There are also issues with selections--such as having part of the floor on the model's shoe in the first photo. The lack of shadows is also an issue.

Adding the shadow in photo #3 didn't help. The shadow from the original picture is going in the opposite direction. And, the shadow doesn't line up or connect with the model.

Again, the model is great and the idea behind the shoot is interesting. But, compilations require some advanced Photoshop maneuvers.

Glenn

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  9. When adding shadows, make sure that both the direction and quality (softness/hardness) of the shadows are consistent throughout the image.

10. OK, what don't you like?? And what can I do to fix it??

11. Looking at the photo the direction , etc. is consistent. or at least it looks that way to me. Suggestions?

12. Notice the shadow in the right side of the image that is not a shadow of the woman. Also notice that it's behind whatever is casting that shadow. However, the shadow of the woman is in front of her. A less important point is that the shadow of the woman is darker than the other shadows in the image.

The shadow of the woman is also slightly harder than the other shadows in the image. That is to say that the edges of the woman's shadow are slightly more defined than the other shadows.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    And the shadow on the left under the log goes backward....not forward as does the shadow you created.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Jim, these are tough to pull off. Your added shadow is just totally unbelievable and does not even really correspond to the model. To my eye, it almost looks like a mirror image with the position of the elbow on the shadow. The lighting direction is all over the place and the shadow is too sharply defined.

I'm a harsh critic. Rarely do I see a green screen image that I like and find believable. The attention to detail regarding the lighting, scaling and photoshop skills required for these far exceeds most of us. Study some images from really good composite photographers and you will see what I mean.

I would have much preferred to see your model in her nautical outfit on location at one of your local marinas.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Jim, part of the idea of the shadow is that it realistically "anchors" the model to the fake scene. In your examples above, she seems to be floating above the ground she is supposed to be standing upon.

Further, as has been pointed out, in #1, her legs and and one foot show signs of having missed some erasing? Or too much erasing. And in #2, the anchor chain is clearly showing through her leg. In #3, there is a masking issue around her hat. The bright lighting on the model does not match the flat, gray lighting on the boat or the rails around her.

For these kinds of shots, you have to know the lighting of the background and what its effects will be on the model when you position her in that scene, and then mimic that lighting when you shoot against the screen. This is VERY difficult to do, for sure!

Your attempts are admirable; keep trying! That's the only way to succeed! It's so much easier to be a critic than the doer in this type of case. :). I would never try one of these types of shots because I know it's beyond my lighting and PS abilities.

16. Originally all originally wanted to do was post a photo of my pretty new model. Thanks everyone for you helpful suggestions.

17. Jim, don't be discouraged These are good discussions. Are there any forums you have found specifically focusing on green screen techniques? I wonder if you could make some better progress with some more experienced guidance.

18. Hi Mitchell - I have not found any forum dealing with green screen. The photo's I take with green screen are for fun. I photograph my models in costume and match the background to what they are wearing. Some times the two go together perfectly and other times it is a difficult match. I have done dozens of sessions over the last few years. Hopefully there will be more in the future. I do learn from members comments even though they might sting a bit at times.

19. JW53

JW53

Jan 21, 2006
    Johns Creek, Ga
    Jim, take a look at some of the youtube tutorials by Andrei Oprinca under PSDBOX. Covers a wide array of Photoshop topics including composites. Some are fairly simple extractions from green screen others are very complicated and will use numerous donor images to create the final image. He does go into how to add shadows, lighting and matching the overall tones and colors to create the final image.

Also look at Calvin Hollywoods tutorials.