1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A new perspective on portraits

Discussion in 'People' started by Uncle Frank, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    I love square format, but they were meant to be cropped however you like afterwards. Because I find it such a waste of film to crop my square medium format shots, I just compose it how I'd like it to look in the viewfinder.

I find with digital it's harder to "think" in square when you're looking at 3:2 in the viewfinder. I think it would make a more interesting photo if the subject's head isn't centred as much in the middle of the frame, it's okay to chop off part of the top of the head, or place off-centre.

2. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

wow, i LIKE these Frank .....;-)))
    ...not bad for an old SQUARE ...lol

;-)))

3. That is great Frank, I love the square format. Nice, sharp, colorful images all.

4. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    Frank,
    I just read an article on shooting square. If I remember the article correctly you can buy a square screen so that you frame correctly vs guessing and cropping. Of course they also said that you could probably make a d.i.y square filter with tape and card board. If I find the article I will post it.
    By the way...great shots

5. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Square Is Nice! Great Shots Unc!

6. It's hip to be square ;) 

7. Davo

Davo

May 3, 2005
    Las Vegas
    gah! beat me to it :p 

8. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    You're such a square! Great images.

9. I love square crops! I offer at LEAST one to every client, sometimes several, and most end up getting them. They look great framed and on the wall!

10. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    love it Frank!! Those are great examples too. I really like that last shot.

11. Y0u would have loved to shoot with the Mamiya 6 a 6x6 square medium format camera that yields super sharp and clean images.

12. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Nice portraits the square format really frames the face beautifully.

13. JessP7

JessP7

May 3, 2005
    North MS, USA
    Frank, these are great. I like the square crop, although I've never had any printed. I am sure they do look great framed.

14. Thanks for all of the feedback!

I find that just locking focus on the center bracket works pretty well for square crops.

Ouch. It didn't bother me when Nute said it, but when it comes from a beautiful lady, it hurts. :Teeth:

Back in the Dark Ages, I shot with a Mamiya 2 1/4 by 2 1/4. Maybe that's why I love square crops.

Hah, you love any picture with a kid in it. Betcha like this one even better.

100668999.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

15. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Nice portraits, Frank! And I'm glad you posted this thread to allow us all to think outside of the box, so to speak :wink:. It really does make a significant and noticeable difference in how the images look.

16. These are great Frank. They take me back to the Hasselblad days.

17. I like these a lot, and the chosen name. :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.