A new use for portable DVD players

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by AlanG, Jul 28, 2008.

1. AlanG

AlanG

May 6, 2008
    Virginia, USA
    Well I was checking out the video on getting 8 fps on a D300 without the grip, I came upon this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xQmWPAcaKU

What a brilliant idea. I happen to have a pretty nice Sony player, so I gave it a try in my studio. It works great for checking lighting and exposure. Mine has an 8.5" hi res screen, it is so much better than the camera screen, (which is still pretty good). I didn't try it in live view, but I would assume it would work just as well.

2. For commecial shoots, we shoot tethered to a laptop (on location) or a tower (in the studio), monitoring the output on the monitor...

is there an advantage to the DVD player that I am missing?

Lawrence

3. tintingkc

tintingkc Guest

In the video he says the DVD player displays the image faster then a laptop. Its most likely easier to carry as well. Personal preference I guess.

4. shaocaholica

shaocaholica

Jul 21, 2008
    LA
    I wouldn't trust a portable DVD player screen to be accurate on colors or exposure. If you're shooting on location, just bring a laptop with that Nikon control software or even a smallish HDMI capable monitor. That should wow the client and give you a great 720p/1080i monitor especially if its calibrated too.

5. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    The HDMI monitor doesn't do anything if you have a D200 or D2(h/x/etc) and besides that, it cannot run on batteries, a DVD player can. It's also smaller, which means it doesn't get knocked over so quickly

I'm not saying the monitor is a bad idea - if you can drag it around with you, and plug it in, the quality is probably worth it.

David Tejada shoots as much on oil drilling wells and pit mining facilities as he does in corporate offices - "out on the field" the wall connector for a large monitor might not always be available. Using the DVD player is a smart way to get around that problem - and a lot faster than downloading images onto a laptop (especially when shooting raw) - all it takes is sticking the plug into the camera and presto.

6. AlanG

AlanG

May 6, 2008
    Virginia, USA
    Agree on the colors, but I shoot raw, and worry about that in post. As to exposure, it shows whatever is on the back LCD on the camera. If you have the clipping warnings active, it will show, as does the histogram.

Even though the d300 has an excellent rear LCD, I sometimes have difficulty seeing subtle lighting effects. I tried it out yesterday with my Sony 8.5" hi res player. What I like about it is it is much easier to check lighting quickly.

On location, I think it is better than a monitor, because you don't have to plug it in. You also don't have to pay for the overpriced (IMO) for the remote software, unless of course you use the remote features.

7. shaocaholica

shaocaholica

Jul 21, 2008
    LA
    Are there any super nice portable DVD players with HDMI input?

8. AlanG

AlanG

May 6, 2008
    Virginia, USA
    Haven't seen any.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.