A new UV transmitting filter: LUV U-2

Real Name
Dr Klaus Schmitt
Quick test of a new, quite capable UV transmitting filter that has recently been introduced to the market, currently sold only via ebay by seller/company "uviroptics" and named "LUV U-2 52mm Camera Filter, 359WB53, 315-395nm".

First I'm using a very deep into UV reflecting Zinnia flower for that test as well as my "work horse" UV filter, the Baader-U filter for comparison. Lens was my CERCO 94mm quartz flourite lens. Light source was an UV enhanced Xenon flash. All shots were done at f8.

UV detail image using Baader-U filter (approx. 320-395nm, peak approx. 350nm):
large.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

UV detail image using LUV U-2 filter (approx. 315-395nm, peak approx. 359nm):
View attachment 1211194

UV images using on the left Baader-U filter and on the right LUV U-2 filter:
large.jpg

Second, outdoor tests using a Gazania rigens flower and sunlight, same lens.

UV detail image using Baader-U filter (approx. 320-395nm, peak approx. 350nm):
large.jpg

UV detail image using LUV U-2 filter (approx. 315-395nm, peak approx. 359nm):
large.jpg

UV images using on the left Baader-U filter and on the right LUV U-2 filter:
large.jpg

All shots have individual white balance set. Compared to using the Baader-U filter, the LUV U-2 needs enhanced red and green and somewhat pushed back blue channels to achieve about identical resulting images when using a quartz fluorite lens; a UV transmitting "normal" lens will need different WB settings in both cases.

Summarizing my findings: The LUV U-2 filter in theory is a bit slower than the Baader-U filter, but only 1/3 EV, which perfectly coincides with its 65% peak, compared to Baader's 80%, that's neglectable at work. In use it is as sharp as the Baader-U filter, considering it is (mechanically very well) built from in total thicker ionic colored absorbing SCHOTT UG11 and S8612 glass filters. I cannot detect any IR leakage at all, as it seems to be having OD4 out of band suppression, which is very good, even better than the Baader filter. Factoring in its attractive price, a very welcomed new filter for reflected UV photography.

That Gazania flower is absolutely stunning Klaus! The purple and white and the color details in the center too. Elegant shot.

Those are beautiful, never anything like these. Really like the purple flower shots.

Real Name
Dr Klaus Schmitt
Thanks guys!

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom