A newbie and the D40.

Discussion in 'People' started by Snap96, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Snap96

Snap96

Jun 18, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I'm completely new to the DSLR world and pretty much photography in general. I've learned a great deal already and have so much more to learn.

I've only had the D40 for a few weeks and enjoy using it more than I had hoped. Photos below were all taken with the 18-55 kit lens and nothing has been done with the photos except for cropping or converting to BW.

I'd appreciate any feedback, good or bad.

Thanks,
    Paul

1...Feeding the ducks down by the river
    2699499739_2988543652_b.png

2...Just swinging around
    View attachment 226518

3...Family pic...taken by my wife
    View attachment 226519

4...Just being a kid
    View attachment 226520

5...The Japanese Beetle...they are just plain nasty
    View attachment 226521

2. mcfun61

mcfun61 Guest

I like your DOF in 3 and your macro shot of the beetle. I think your doing very well. I hope you participate in the challenges and have fun!

3. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Very nice images Paul. Welcome to the Café. :smile:

As far as feedback, keep shooting and hang around here as much as possible. You are certainly off to a really great start.

4. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    You are off to a great start!! Hang around here and you'll learn a lot. Don't be afraid to ask questions and ask for critique. It really helped me to do that.

5. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    What a cute family you have! Your daughter is adorable...I love her "fish lips" in #4!

6. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Welcome, Paul! You've done a nice job with your D40 :smile: Cute little girl.

7. Snap96

Snap96

Jun 18, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Thank you all for your very kind comments. There's so much to learn but having a blast so far.

I have been blessed with a great family...my daughter's at that age that once I pick up the camera it's all silly faces.

Paul

8. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Well you definately have an eye for this stuff. You capture great expression. Keep shooting and welcome to the Cafe!

9. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Very nice shots! Keep them coming!

10. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Excellent -#2 is my favorite! I like the way you've separated the beetle from the background also

I'm pretty new to the world of DSLRs but when I first posted I was given great advice to always sharpen my images. Not sure what software you have but I think most programs have sharpening controls - it make a big difference.

11. Snap96

Snap96

Jun 18, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Thank you Seneca and Mart61.

Leah, thanks for the advice. I'm fortunate that my wife is a graphic artist so I'll let her do the magic in photoshop.

Paul

12. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    You wife will probably love working in Photoshop. It's my favorite part of the entire process and I was an art major in college for a while--a LONG time ago.