A nice surprise in the yard

As I was getting the lawnmower from the garage this morning a bird flew up into one of my small trees. It was obviously an Eastern Screech-Owl from its size and shape. Fortunately, it stayed put while I got a camera, shot it then shared it with the little girl next door. It flew across the fence to my neighbour's yard and stayed there while I cut the grass, even while I mowed only a few feet away (fairly quiet electric mower). I got out the camera and tripod and had another session with it while chickadees, Red-eyed vireo and a Downy Woodpecker mobbed it.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I think owls are so much fun to watch. We've had one in our yard in the past and I never got tired of watching it. Your photos are great and you will enjoy having them as a memory of your own visitor!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, everyone. It was a nice change to shoot something big with 2 wings instead of the usual small things with 4 wings.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Super find and you did a great job photographing it. He was patient while you got out your tripod.
Thanks. Screech-Owls typically stay put during the day if they aren't disturbed and they tolerate people who are near but not too close

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom