A no-hit home run!

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Harry Lavo, Jul 31, 2007.

1. This is the star (you last saw him in my Newport photos):
    original.

This is his battery mate, shaking off a foul into his groin. You last saw him getting knocked out at home plate.
    original.

Here is what the star looked like going into the ninth inning. Perhaps a bit nervous? Perhaps.
    original.

Perhaps because of this?:
    original.

And here is how he looked during the inning, facing the top of the Sanford (Maine) Mariner's order:
    original.
    original.
    original.

And four batters later, the scoreboard read THIS:
    original.

So the batterymates could look like this:
    original.

And their teammates could do this:
    original.

To celebrate achieving at least a tie for the Division Championship and first-round home field advantage in the playoffs, to start Thursday.

Now for the kicker....all the photos except the "nervous" one were shot using the D1H that arrived just 45 minutes before I was to leave for the game. The first two (pitcher and catcher) were shot at ISO400 @f/4.0 with the 1.4x Kenko on the 80-200 ED, representing 280mm. Because it was overcast, my shutter speed was on the low side (1/200) and shortly after I went to 800, then 1250, etc. All shots were jpegs at default settings and little or no PP.

The last seven shots (from the 8th inning scoreboard on) were shot at -- guess what -- Hi-1 (iso3200). I am not using noise reduction because at the size these photos will be printed or published (less than what you see here by far), the noise will not be objectionable vs. the smearing created by noise reduction. But I am a bit flabbergasted...this machine really is a high-ISO champ...better even than my expectations, and I bought it specifically to use in bad light. And it is a pleasure to handle and use to boot, once a few quirks are learned. Even the notorious battery behaved itself. So thanks Chris...it has found a grateful home.

The pitcher threw the no-hitter; the D1H provided the "home run".

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2007
  2. Great stuff Harry. I send you an email.

3. For record; I know portrait not terrific focus; was grab shot

Just for the record, the "portrait" at the end was a grab shot. I was leaving the stadium and another photographer had the two of them posing for the shot and was near the end of his shoot..I was fairly far away and in a swirl of people walking, and so had trouble getting a clean field of view...I snapped off two photos before somebody walked in front of my lens and by then the players had parted. This is the poorer-composed but better focused of the two. I don't know why it is not sharp...I may have just been too anxious...where is anti-shake when you need it.

The other photog's photo is well staged and clearer (hi Pat), but I think the two I shot have a spontaneous "character" largely because at that point they thought most of the "posing" was over. I am a big believer in "candid" where possible.

By the way, I have learned from this other photog (Pat Brough) that the Pentax 10D is one terrific camera. He uses it with a Sigma 70-200 and the sensor-stabilizer works extremely well. As a result he can just forget about camera movement blurring as a thing of the past, and I am really envious. Why does it *have* to be in the lens, Nikon!?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2007
  4. Thanks Harry. Thanks for telling me about this site. I know I am not a Nikon shooter, but I really enjoy looking at photography in general and sports in particular. Great site and again great shots. :)