(A not so) Wile E. Coyote

Real Name
John A Alexander
Today I drove into California's Death Valley. After lunch in Shoshone I headed for Badwater. The weather was unusual - high winds blowing sand and dust everywhere and even some rain! (Note that Death Valley is one of the hottest and driest places on the planet). Not sure if it was down to the weather or if the local coyotes have gotten to accept the fast moving, noisy, shiny things we call cars as a possible source of food, but I had close encounters with three of these usually shy creatures.

1) Give us a lift mister!

Death Valley Coyote-1 by johnaalex, on Flickr

2) And me!

Death Valley Coyote-2 by johnaalex, on Flickr

3) Ears up?

Death Valley Coyote-3 by johnaalex, on Flickr

4) Or ears down?

Death Valley Coyote-4 by johnaalex, on Flickr

All comments welcome, thanks.

Real Name
John A Alexander
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Very nice!
Great shots John.
Great captures John ….
Just something about # 2 that I really , really like ….

ron
Great shots, #2 is my favorite.
I really liked this series...!

Thanks for sharing, John...! :smile:
Thanks for all the nice comments. I must admit I am very happy with the second shot :smile:

Wow! Great closeups of an animal that normally shies quite far away from humans!!!
From what I have seen and heard from other travellers I think the coyotes in Death Valley are not just used to cars, but see them as a food source as people no doubt throw them stuff when they pass. The coyotes in the pictures chased after me as I slowed down. NOTE, as friendly as they looked I did not get out of my vehicle!

From what I have seen and heard from other travellers I think the coyotes in Death Valley are not just used to cars, but see them as a food source as people no doubt throw them stuff when they pass. The coyotes in the pictures chased after me as I slowed down. NOTE, as friendly as they looked I did not get out of my vehicle!
I have not doubt... due to the people who feed them and ruin them!! :frown: But, no worries, they are only dangerous in packs... :tongue:

Nice shots. It's a shame people can't just enjoying seeing wildlife instead of trying to feed them and take the wild out.

Real Name
John A Alexander
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great shots, they look like the guys I met when I was there in January!
Thanks, it may well be the same ones.

Nice shots. It's a shame people can't just enjoying seeing wildlife instead of trying to feed them and take the wild out.
Agreed - The Prime Directive should appply in all cases.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom