A panning technique question ...

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by ciocc, Jul 27, 2007.

1. I though using flash can freeze all kinds of fast actions. But looking at this picture, you can see a slight movement on his face, especially on the sunglasses. Is it more of a motion blur or camera movement?

874891824_0d1fecae21_o.

2. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Looking at your data you shot at ss 1/160 F4 Looks as if focus is on his shoe and bike frame area does not appear that flash was strong enough on what appears to be an already bright day
    I see a lot of motion blur on his back, helmet and face---Try a faster SS 400 or above

3. I'll try to use a little faster shutter speed next time.

On the other hand, I have found that anything faster than 1/500 would be too fast to keep the motion on the wheel when not using flash.

Thanks.

4. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Here is a panning shot I took
    F16 ss 1/250
    [​IMG]

another at
    F18 SS1/200
    [​IMG]

Looking at your picture more perhaps the combination of Flash and panning an slow SS had some effect-- the bike is moving one direction(horizontal) and the rider is moving vertically on the bike Just a thought

5. I'm terrible at panning, but that is a great shot!

Seems like you need the camera to mimic the action of the subject...in the motorcycle shots, the only direction you need to worry about is horizontal...as someone else mentioned, with your action shot of the cyclist out of the saddle, you probably need to mimic his up/down motion as well as the horizontal movement...JMHO...

As I said, I'm no panning expert, but it's what I would try.

6. Ciocc,
    John & Mark are right, by using panning you follow only one directional motion to eliminate blur, when there is another motion along another axis you either need to use faster SS to eliminate that too, or live with it. You may have been able to eliminate the head bobbing due to riding out of the saddle with about 1/500 since the rider may not have been going that fast, and I think you would have still had some spoke blurring too based upon how much you got here at 1/160, and also lost the blur on his feet. At f/4 you could have easily gained one stop going to f2.8 and gotten to at least 1/400 without trading anything in your exposure, even DOF since you were so close and the focus is right on.
    Any way, even with all the tech talk this is still a great frame based upon the action, exposure, your positioning, and framing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2007