A paralyzed Death!!! 2 large pics

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by TomP, Jul 26, 2007.

1. If these files are too big let me know and I will reduce them.

Some pics are FF. All pics are at least 60% of FF, shot with 60MM and tubes, 50MM reversed, and 70/200 2.8 with a lot of tube!!

These are pics of a dirt dauber nest or mud dauber as they are called. I found it on my front porch, it had fallen from an overhead rafter. The ants wasted no time in harvesting this easy paralyzed meal.

large.

original.

These solitary wasp, build the nest from mud It has been suggested that the vibration of the wasp’s wings is attuned to the resonant frequency of the mud, so that the mud picks up the vibration the same way a guitar string will hum, and they shape the nest with their feet wings and mouth. They are constructed of 6" long tubes of clay. they are sectioned off inside, and each section is filled with bugs and spiders that have been parallelized by the mother wasp sting. An egg is placed in each sell, and it grows into a larva and eats the captive, but live food, and emerges from a hole it makes in the tube as an adult wasp!!

In these pics, the ants have removed and dismembered the spiders and are carrying of parts of the spider plus feasting off the body fluids. Yes it is gross, but it is nature and goes on around us all the time. Just think of us at Mc Donald's!!!

original.

large.

2. SSchex

SSchex

May 18, 2005
    Louisiana, USA
    Great set of pictures Tom. The insect world is tough.

3. I agree with you Scott, great set of pics!! My husband and I found a yellow jacket nest in a rolled-up rug on our deck a few years ago. It was fascinating to observe the structure of the nest and the eggs and full-grown yellow jackets inside. My husband disposed of the nest in a bucket of water a few days after it was fumugated. It completely dissolved!!

4. Interesting behaviour shots.

5. Thanks all, I thought it was an interesting subject, no to mention very convenient!!

6. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Great series. Lucky for us that the ants are so small.