A personal air show performance by Gary Ward

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by cgaengineer, Mar 27, 2007.

1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer Guest

The weekend before last we went to Thunder in the Valley Air Show where Gary ward performed. Gary is one of the best aerobatic pilots I have ever saw. I called Gary the following Monday to schedule some time with him at his air strip/shop/home and he invited us to come down Saturday. We were happy just to meet him but he had something else in mind...he said...be right back, going to call FAA to get permission for my aerobatic box. We talked to a few minutes, helping him push plane out of hanger, then fueling.

The plane: MX-2 (All carbon fiber)
    The Engine: 550 CI Ly-Con 350 HP

The "airport"
    DSC_9840.

Gary Ward posing
    DSC_9864.

Gary buckling up
    Ward-Cockpit.

DSC_9912.

During the performance the local police showed up...Gary Buzzed them!
    Police-Visit.

The officer only came out to watch...he knew Gary...I had Gary and officer pose for an arrest shot.
    DSC_1850.

Taxiing
    DSC_9955.

Smoke show after air show performance.
    DSC_9961.

My son Andy and Gary posing
    DSC_1851.

The sunlight was less then ideal for in flight shots, I did take a few but have not processed them yet.

It was really a treat to meet Gary and to also get to see him perform...what excitement.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2007
  2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Chris,
    great pics
    What a great experience.
    Very special of him to do this for you :>)))
    I know he loved every moment of it to :>))))

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2007
  3. What a treat Chris!!

4. Lucky you!!! That must have been a blast!

5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer Guest

Thank you Gale, Dave and Frank for taking the time to look and comment.

It was a really special treat for my family and I. I have invited Gary to our local airport for dinner as my way of saying thank you...will see if his busy schedule allows.

6. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    WOW. I would have loved to have seen that in person.

Thanks for sharing!!

7. cgaengineer

cgaengineer Guest

It was quite a show Patrick, no crowds and no loud music to distract you from the 500 Cubic Inch Ly-Con and nearly 350 HP engine...basically this plane is a piston powered rocket!

8. WOW, that must have been great. Very good images, thanks for sharing.:smile:

9. ga_d_five-o

ga_d_five-o

May 13, 2006
    NE GA, USA
    I'm jealous!
    These look real good Chris!
    Mr. Ward is top notch areobatics...we enjoyed seeing him at Thunder in The Valley 2007 in Columbus, GA.

10. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    i am dying to see the new plane, the Mx is one hot plane and is the top of the performance envelope for pilots today, (at least for this year.) If I am not mistaken the Mx won the Int aero championships this year.

I have seen him perform in the old G202, and I am looking forward to the new MX and new colors.

You lucky son of a gun!!!!

Wade

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Paul Lopez flys an MX2 , he is a wild pilot. He pushes the envelope all the way.
    What a show he put on at the TICO show.. wow

He is not foolish though. He stays a good way up to do his stuff.

12. cgaengineer

cgaengineer Guest

Gary had just gotten his decals (Wed) and had yet to put them on. We saw the new decals...they couldnt get the green to match plane so they used a darker contrasting green outline...I think it will look just fine.

As far as who won the Championship...I have no idea...are those pylon races, as in Kirby Chambliss....Red Bull?

Lucky...yes...probably, but also fortunate to live within 1.5 hours of him also! As I understand he quite frequently gets his plane out to practice...we will likely see him again at his home...I have to admit I was kinda shy going to his house for the first time...but after he said "Just go down to my shop and make yourself at home" I started to loosen up. No doubt that Gary is one of the nicest people I have ever met.