1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A pictorial tribute to my wife, a remarkable woman... warning image heavy!!!

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by ubetcha, Aug 31, 2008.

1. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    A couple of months ago my wife decided to surprise me with a two day get-away to Coronado and a stay at the Hotel Del. This would be a sort of R&R to recover from the effects of life's slings and arrows that afflict us all but that were bearing down on me in particular. She's like that, she knows when the daily stresses and strains have gotten the better of me and she takes care of it, that's what she does best, which is one of the many reasons I love her!

Little did she know then, that my problems, as overbearing as they may have seemed at the time were really trivial and unimportant in the scheme of other things, (keep in mind that I did not know of her secret plans until a few day before the scheduled date).

Fast forward to the middle of July; a routine but over-due mammogram turned up something that looked very serious which resulted in the need for surgery ASAP. Two days before our R&R trip she had surgery and I naturally assumed that we would cancel and do it some other much more convenient time, but she wouldn't hear of it. In fact, the more I insisted that we should stay home and take care of her, the more she objected. I learned long ago that it was prudent to acquiesce in these matters where her mind is that made up. We're both glad we went... we both needed it!

Below, is a pictorial tribute to my wife on our R&R trip to Coronado four weeks ago. There are only a few pictures of her because, needless to say, she wasn't feeling her best and I alway respect her wishes not to be in front of the camera when she's not feeling herself.

BTW, although the biopsy was positive for cancer, it's apparently all out now and her lymph nodes are cancer free. A meeting with the oncologist this past Thursday left us with the prospects of more tests and some family history research, but things are looking up!

Beautiful light! It's gonna be a great trip!

Mary, in the lobby of the Hotel Del
    View attachment 246415

Out and about for the obligatory "Shopping" spree
    View attachment 246416

Cool! Our grandson would love one of these!... Heck, I would love one of these!!
    View attachment 246417

"Nelson"..... the un-official street greeter!!!!!
    View attachment 246418

Mary, making friends with the local "Heaven's Angles", meet Pastor Fred Z of "Bikers for Christ"
    View attachment 246419

She won't let me get a real motorcycle.... sooooooo!
    View attachment 246420

Later by the pool...
    View attachment 246421

Looks like we're in for some more heavy drinking!
    View attachment 246422

On the ferry over to San Diego
    View attachment 246423

We saw some secret Navy dolphin training
    View attachment 246424

Sights from the ferry back to Coronado!
    View attachment 246425

Back at the hotel men's shop.... would I really wear these to the Padres game??? Na! I'll pass.
    View attachment 246426

This might be nice in our kitchen...
    View attachment 246427

I like it a lot better when she feels like smiling
    View attachment 246428

That's better (this was from today.. 09-01-08 & feeling much better:smile:) 
    View attachment 246429

Time to go home... we had a great time! Love that new 14-24 too!
    View attachment 246430

Thanks for looking

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2008
  2. Mike,

My best wishes to you and your wife ........ I hope all stays well for her. Nice series of photos of your special day. She sounds incredible.

Best,

3. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    Thank you Bob for your sentiments. Mary is incredible and I'm very lucky to have her in my life.:smile:

4. Mike,
    first of all.....
    my prayers are with MARY, and YOU...
    secondly, we are honored that you chose to share this with your family here at THE CAFE

the pictures are great
    i'm glad she insisted you go
    i'm touched by the strength of your marriage... in fact, i think it is a moving tribute to her... you have accomplished in showing us these pictures

may her course continue to be one laced with positivity and a complete resolution of the issues at hand

thank you for sharing all of this with us

5. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    Thank you Greg, you are most gracious and kind!

6. vz223

vz223

Dec 7, 2007
    NJ
    Behind every great man, is a great woman. Looks like you found one Mike. I am happy to hear the positive outlook and will say a prayer for both of you. In the mean time, cherish her daily and shoot more great photo's.

7. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    Thanks Vince for the prayers and the sage advice, Mary and I are looking forward to many, many more years together, one day at a time:smile:

8. Cool photos! I really like the Bikers for Christ motorycles. I ride with them quite often. Im a CMA member. Thanks for sharing these.

Drew at CBN magazine.

9. yendikeno

yendikeno

Mar 31, 2008
    CA
    I wish the very best to you and your wife. As a cancer survivor myself, I'm sending lots of positive thoughts her way, and a heartfelt wish for a full cancer-free recovery. :Angel:

10. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    Drew, we met Fred as he was preparing to head out to a bikers rendezvous up in the North West, I think. Nice man with a good heart.

Thank yo so much :Love:

11. Give your wife all the best and hope all goes well...
    It must be a real shock to hear this type of news, but its good to hear that it is cancer free now...
    Take care to both of you as it must be stressful for you as well...
    BTW, great shots... I was at the Hotel Del Coronado back in the late 90's... Great place...
    At least you haven't got as far to travel to get there as I have... LOL...

12. Great series! I was just in San Diego yesterday, absolutely beautiful day. I send my best wishes to you and your wife, I'm glad to hear that she is getting better.

13. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca

Thank you both for your kind words and sentiments. San Diego is indeed an incredible city, so much to do and see and when the weather is clear it can't be beat for things to photograph. I was sorry that I didn't get a chance to photograph the Tall Ships recently, maybe next year! My wife and I are headed out in a few minutes and I'll take my camera bag... don't know where we'll wind up.. maybe Balboa Park. Thanks again, Mike

This is from today at Sea Port Village... she's smilling again!:smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2008
  14. Very Nice Shot ! Best of luck to you and your wife. I think the trip was good for the recovery ..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.