1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A prayer for dad (and mom too) please

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Voyager1968, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Please say a prayer or two for my parents in Arizona. My dad was very recently diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer. He has the cancer in the left lung and bronchial, as well as in two ribs. I knew about the cancer for a few weeks now, but just found out yesterday what stage he is in. I/we don't know the official prognosis, but stage IV has a very low survival rate with many not making past 1 year. I am devastated (as are my mom and dad of course) simply because I've always had a close and good relationship with my parents.

He is 69 years old and other than a weak heart with a pacemaker was in relatively decent health. He had developed back pain from what he thought was a strained muscle, but when it didn't go away, he had it checked further, and that is when they discovered the cancer.

He will not have any surgery since it has already metastasized into the bone, so his only option is chemo/radiation. He's going to fight it hard and only time and the grace of God will determine if he is victorious.

2. Gort

Gort

Mar 10, 2008
    Phoenix
    Best wishes, Steve. Must be extra difficult given you are so far away. Hang in there.

3. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    So sorry to hear this. I'll say a prayer for him and your family. Please keep us informed. God Bless!

4. Steve, I'm so very sorry to hear this. Thoughts and prayers from my little part of the world. Be strong...your parents may need you now more than ever.

5. I am sorry to hear that "The Beast" has visited your family as well. The best thing you can do for your Mother and Father from now on is to be "up" - no tears, no anger, no remorse, no "what if", no "why us" - just be positive and optimistic. You can do all the other stuff out of their presence - and you will need time alone for just you to come to terms with the situation.

I know because my wife was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer of the bones 2 1/2 years ago - we get buy, day by day. Hang in there for your parents sakes...

6. Your Dad and family are in our thoughts

7. Talking to mom on the phone now. Prognosis is 9-18 months.

8. Best wishes, Steve. You all will be in our prayers...

9. Sorry to hear about your folks. Don't give up hope, my Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

10. JakeEbersole

JakeEbersole

Mar 11, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Jake Ebersole
    Same thing happened with my grandma, but she had it in her lungs, liver, pancreas, and brain. I will pray for you and your family.

11. Jaws

Jaws

Mar 27, 2007
    Columbia, MD
    I'll keep your father and your family in my prayers.

12. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

Your family is in my prayers...

13. Thanks all for the prayers and good wishes.

Here's the thing. Right now it looks like I MAY have about a year left with my dad. He lives in Phoenix AZ and I live in PA. I don't have a good job as I've been laid off more than I've worked and even now am only working 3-4 days per week. I am married. What I want to do is go out to AZ and spend what little time I have with my dad with him. Also, I want to be some sort of support for my mom who will have to deal with everything alone. The wife doesn't want to go. In fact she refuses, and would rather me go out for a week or two and then come home and wait for the inevitable phone call that time is short.

I want to go, but I don't want to feel guilty about doing so. I missed 10 years with my father, and I want some quality time before it's over, but then again....I'm married. Am I wrong for wanting this? I know no one can tell me what to do, but I lost on this one.

14. Prayers coming your way. Cancer seems to touch every family. We just had it stop by in our family this spring. Keep strong.

15. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Our prayers and thoughts are with you. My grandmother died from lung cancer so we also know the results.

16. My wife and I will keep your family in our thoughts.

17. Thanks again everyone, and to those of you have also experienced/are experiencing cancer in your families, you have MY best wishes as well.

18. DesignLov3

DesignLov3 Guest

i have said a prayer, you have my thoughts and best wishes

19. Good wishes and thoughts to your whole family: be strong and be strong for your Mom, too. My father in law passed 3 months ago from this disease. I would take a week or two to visit your Dad and Mom, come back home to PA and to your wife, and do the trip again, 2-3 months later, and so on. When sadly it becomes obvious that it is just a matter of days, make another trip to AZ.

20. My prayers are very much so with you Steve, my family just two days ago lost a very close friend to cancer. The wait, and treatment is a very painful process, for everyone. I would say spend as much time with him as possible Steve, all moments together will be precious and even more priceless.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.