A primer for Jim Fenton's upcoming visit...

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Backdoctor, Nov 27, 2005.

1. since he cant make the group shoot..

Shot with my D2H and either the 300 f4 with 1.4x, a 500 f4 with 1.4x, or a 200-400 vr with 1.4x. Went out with Steve S and he was kind enough to let me use whichever long lens he wasnt using at the time.

here's my rat with wings, I couldnt get the shrimp with hook away and he did in fact swallow it. Seems fishermen, in general, are sloppy. Doubt this guy will live long. It was overcast and drizzly at this time:
    original.

then a pleasant surprise, some Frigate Birds, shot at 700mm at 1/250th of a second. Getting my long lens technique down, but shoulda pushed iso up to at least 400, it was only 320:
    original.

a merganser at 700mm, 500iso:
    original.
    original.
    hard to track these moving things in such a small field of view.

Now to osprey. They were, how should I put it, ALL OVER THE PLACE! We stayed on the tree high observation deck today as we were carrying big rigs. Looking out on the lagoon, at times there were 7-8 osprey fishing at a time. Then, they'd come by us with fish or empty handed. I need to use a different focus setting. I used the second one down from the top, and will start to use the second from the bottom. Also, will stop down more.:
    original.

And we had some Rosies:
    original.

Didnt get a shot off on the immature baldie that flew by us on the way to the point. I think he's waiting for you. Look forward to your visit. Will keep working on places to take you. Stay warm buddy!

2. awesome! The bird may infact survive. It seems that fish hooks disinitgrate in digestive tracts. At least they do in fish.
    Dave

3. I hope so dave. I see lots of garbage left behind by fishemen. Plastic beercan things, fish hooks and leaders. The leaders can trap them too. Then there's the packages for the chicken legs that the people going after crabs leave behind. Just sloppy.

Hope he lives.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice shots Harris. I really like the Rosie, but all good. Shame about the fish hook. Hope that he makes it.

5. All great shots, the fourth one is quite unique.

louie

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Those are real nice Harris. My keeper rate using that blasted monopod & 200-400+TC14 in that wind was pitifully low. Have just a couple worth taking a 2nd look at. I checked Intellicast when we got home, and it was blowing steady @18 mph. No more monopoding for me when they coming from all directions like that. Without the Sidekick, that rig was just insanely hard to wield. I just realised I'm much more of a tripod kind'a guy! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2005
  7. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Very very nice shots!
    First one is superb.Last one is awesome.Dream shot!
    Thanks for sharing.

8. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Cool Osprey, cool Rosey
    cool all the way around !