A Primer on Dealing with Cox Communications

I have gone through several nightmares with Cox Communications over the decades I have been their residential customer, but none of them compared to my most recent situation that lasted three weeks so far (and hopefully has finally been resolved). During that time I spoke with many supervisors in their call center and only one of them did what she said she would do in the form of follow-up. Not one supervisor was particularly helpful. I had four technicians in my home and almost all of them showed up very late. Three replacement DVR boxes were installed. Despite that technicians are supposed to pair the remote control with the newly installed cable box, one refused to do so. A ticket was closed without confirming that the problem was solved (it wasn't). The list goes on and on.

Cox Corporate -- Escalate Your Complaint (888) 234-3993
This group of six people is the company's best kept secret: I asked supervisors at their call center for weeks who I could talk to that would take the bull by the horns and who I could repeatedly speak with until my issue is resolved. (One of the systemic problems that leads to failure is that it's not possible to follow up with a particular call center employee that you previously spoke with.) All of the supervisors said there was nobody who has that role. That was until last night when a supervisor told me about this group and gave me the telephone number. When you call the number, there is no menu directing you to that group. So, simply avoid using the menu and wait for the operator to answer the phone. Tell the operator you want to lodge a "formal complaint" with the corporate group.

Important: Naturally, we shouldn't abuse that resource; give the company a reasonable shot at fixing your problem by going through the call center or the online support forum. If those processes don't get your problem fixed, then and only then contact Cox Corporate.

Financial Credit
If the technician is late for the official appointment at your home, you can obtain a $20 credit each time that happens. I think I got three of those credits.

If you are not receiving a particular service you're paying to receive, every supervisor at the call center is authorized to give you a 100% credit for each day it wasn't provided. However, you have to ask! Indeed, a supervisor confirmed for me today that they are not allowed to offer that kind of credit unless the customer first asks for it. I received a credit in the amount of $136 today.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, these frustrations are not limited to cable companies. I spent the past 2-3 weeks unable to log into a brokerage account I have because their system made a change I did not request that prevented me from completing the login process. Then yesterday I got a paper letter from my cell phone company notifying me of my monthly auto bill payment, whereas I had always received such things in text messages. The letter said they were sending paper mail because they were unable to send a text. After discussing with a rep, I was told it just was probably just a glitch in the system and there was apparently no reason why I could not have been sent a text.

The big picture is that software has become so complicated, workforces have become so transient and software companies keep updating/changing their products that these systems must be full of as yet undiscovered "glitches." And they want to have driverless cars???

Unfortunately, these frustrations are not limited to cable companies.
During my 50 years of adult life, I've never found a company with employees so difficult, so dishonest, so incompetent, so rude, and so ineffective as those at Cox Communications. I would drop them in a heart beat if I had good reason to believe their direct competitors would be any better, but I have no reason to believe that.

I must lead a charmed life, since I have not had any issues with Cox Communications over the many years that I've been using their services. Probably one reason for that, though, is that pretty much the only service I truly use is the internet service; although I have the basic tier for TV, I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've turned on my television this past year. For me, it's all about the internet services, and yes, if there were a glitch in that, I'd be on the phone pronto.

I once had an issue with my cable service, so I signed up to become a repair tech. Went through the 6 months of training, and fixed it myself. It was quicker.

I once had an issue with my cable service, so I signed up to become a repair tech. Went through the 6 months of training, and fixed it myself. It was quicker.
Way too funny and way too close to being the total truth. In the last three weeks, I can absolutely guarantee you that between my wife and I, we spent at least 15 hours dealing with this situation.

Real Name
Bill Mellen
Mike,

We changed to internet only cable service several years ago and have had no issues with the provider. In our case we switched from Cox Cable tv/internet/phone to Verizon Internet only.

For TV we currently use a Roku device and have subscriptions to YouTube TV, Netflix (Free with our mobile phone service) and Disney+. Total cost is right at $110/month. We also purchased the cable modem and extender from Verizon for about 100 each so we do not pay a monthly rental fee for them.

It was a particularly arrogant Cox service representative that prompted us to make that switch :)

Last edited:
Bill: The Washington Nationals regular season games aren't broadcast by anyone in my area on the Internet. For that reason, I'm stuck with Cox, Fios, Dish or another provider whose name escapes me.

It was a particularly arrogant Cox service representative that prompted us to make that switch :)
There are many, many Cox service representatives with that characteristic to choose from.

For the second time in two days, I have received official emails from Cox confirming service technicians' appointments that were never made with me. Both have occurred after the corporate escalation team took control of my situation. I gave them the courtesy of telling them about the first one. This time I'm going to let the technician show up if they don't discover the error on their own. I'm so done spending my time dealing with this inept company.

Last edited:
It's also not allowed because it would be a violation of the terms of service. Many people use that method but I won't.
As mentioned in a previous thread by you, there is nothing wrong with using a VPN, even for getting around blackout rules. You could equate this to having a sip of wine, spitting it out, then driving and being worried about a DUI.

Also, what exactly is the issue?

what exactly is the issue?
If you're referring to the topic of whether to use a VPN to obtain blacked out sports programming, there is no benefit to anyone for me to discuss it any further. So, I won't. If you're referring instead to my issue with Cox Communications, I can't explain it any better than in my first post of this thread. So, I won't try.

I had four technicians in my home and almost all of them showed up very late. Three replacement DVR boxes were installed. Despite that technicians are supposed to pair the remote control with the newly installed cable box, one refused to do so. A ticket was closed without confirming that the problem was solved (it wasn't). The list goes on and on.
I can't explain it any better than in my first post of this thread. So, I won't try.
Actually, yes, you can. But I feel like you won't because you'd rather just complain about it instead of try to come to a resolution together...may explain why you went through 4 technicians, multiple supervisors and multiple agents. I work in this industry...nothing takes that long to resolve. The worst case scenario here is your home is too far from the local node, needs a booster, and/or a rewire in your house...all of which could be determined in any one service call (that is not an installation).

you think you had problems. When we had boarding kennels the phone line went not across but along inside a line of trees that made a hedge. We kept getting clicking -picking up next doors conversations and interrupted internet. Not that it was that good anyway.

Now I spent 25 years as A British telecoms engineer so I knew what I was talking about but the complaints people didn't have a clue. the wire cable casing had worn away so bare wires were touching when the wind blew.

First of all they said it was in the house- no it wasn't, then it was the connection box on the side of the house- no it wasn't- sent down engineers a couple of times - useless not trained like we were. by about the 8 time of complaints a manager turned up who could see the problem straight away Needless to say he got an ear full as it was affecting our business.
Then they sent down a cherry picker hoist to rerun the cable about 4 telephone posts in the trees.
So what did they do? put junction connection points on each pole and ran individual cable from one pole to another. This hen put more resistance on the line and took all day.
I did suggest they just cut and pulled out old cable with new attached but no that was too easy and quick.

Seems to me here in the UK and yourselves in the USA if you know what you are on about and blind them with experience knowledge that just makes matters a lot worse

When we had boarding kennels
I can't imagine the problems and financial opportunity cost of dealing with a cable company's impact on a business. Cox Communications has a unit that sells to businesses and based on my experiences with their residential unit, I wouldn't even think of hiring them as a provider for business services. Every time my most recent employer began to think of changing their provider, I simply said to consider anyone but Cox. The people at Cox and other companies apparently have no idea how the bad reputation of their residential services can so negatively impact the success of their commercial divisions.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Now I spent 25 years as A British telecoms engineer so I knew what I was talking about but the complaints people didn't have a clue. the wire cable casing had worn away so bare wires were touching when the wind blew. ...
I have had lots of experience with BT. Just phoning them increases blood pressure and risks sudden death.
One of the unpleasant things they do is that whenever you report a fault, you get read a warning that if the engineer visits and finds the fault is in your house wiring, they will fine you £130. I'm sure even Cox don't do that!

I had this happen to me. I know a bit about computers and comms too. There was a line fault so the phone was OK but the broadband speed suddenly dropped from 10Mb/s to 0.25Mb/s. I did the usual checks, opened the master socket, connected a splitter directly to the engineer socket, ran tests, confirmed the fault exists and cannot be in the house wiring. Also tested using a different router. So I phoned and reported the fault. A few days later the engineer comes, spends five minutes there, tells me the fault is in the house wiring, goes to his van, and drives away without saying he is leaving. I am fined the £130 and the problem is still there!

I report the fault again and complain and a few days later a different engineer comes. He is a good one, sees the fault is outside in the wood, gets a second engineer to help and they climb up and fix the problem.

They still took the £130 from me! You can't not pay it, if you cancel payment they disconnect the line. I discovered a special hidden away complaints team that only deals with complaints about the fines. They said they would ask BT Openreach about it and it would take a couple of months. When I contacted them again, having heard nothing, they told me they had confirmed that I should pay the fine as the engineer had visited and had not fixed the fault! I pointed out I had proof that the fault was in the trees as the next engineer visit, which they should have checked, showed they fixed it. They said they would ask again. In the end it took six months before I got the money back.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom