A protest and a couple of "street" shots

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Wilk, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    When I first joined here, I was all worried about finding the right catigory for my stuff. They are all so "normal" and I shoot such wierd stuff 8) The challenge is actually kind of fun for me now, gives me a new way to think about my work and how out-of-the-norm it really is :twisted:

Anyhow, these are an easy pick. PJ certainly fits prostest, and I'll likely post my traditional street work here. These are from this weeks InBox, I always post stuff on a weekly basis as I get my InBox up and running.

This is a protest by the Haitian community in miami for the release of Father Jean-Juste who was recently jailed in Haiti. This was a difficult situation to shoot in because everyone was crammed on a sidewalk, so there weren't a whole lot of angles to persue. What I was AMAZED with was the low shutter speed performace of the VR on the 80-400mm. Most rundowns of this lens are that you can go maybe 3 stops under on shutter speed, I got good results a bit lower, which you can see in the EXIF.

BTW... I know I misspelled Haitian in the pics... just didn't have the time to redo them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a couple of street shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll find another forum for a few other different shots
    :lol:
    The rest of my work from the week as always, is in my InBox which you can get to through the link in my sig, just click on "InBox" on the left menu.

2. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Good stuff, Steve

Lots of emotion and charactor on those faces. What's really remarkable to me is the fact that the camera metered all the shots perfectly using matrix and no EV comp. Was it overcast that day?

3. Excellent PJ images. They are packed with emotion and convey a sense of frustration. Good job Steve.

4. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Re: Good stuff, Steve

Hi Steve,

First, thanks very much for the kind words. I try very hard to attend any SoFla protest where the Haitian acivists attend, because they are extremely passionate about thier cause overall, and that passion would naturally translate to facial expressions. I've never attended or done protests unil I moved to miami (with the exception of one "smoke-in" back in the 70's when I was young and foolish :lol: I must say, they are amazing even from the PJ standpoint, but mostly from the just-plain-human standpoint of getting some pretty compelling candid shots.

The EV comp... yes, to my recollection, both these situations were overcast - not strongly, but no direct sun. Thanks to the amazing Ron Resnick and his e-book, I've come a long way at understanding histograms. They were all coming out a bit under of perfect, but I could tell that the shadows weren't cloging up, so I left it as is and brought most of the protest pics up a third of a stop or so in NC, and they turned out just fine. I don't think I tweaked the street shots at all on EV, but I always use the LCH histogram to add a little "pop" to the photos, which does effect the luminosity somewhat.

Thanks for your comments!

5. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Thanks Gordon!

As I said, the passion of the Haitians always comes through amazingly well, which is why I try to get to any protest they are a part of.