A Quail at his post... +NEW! More shots of Quails today

Discussion in 'Birds' started by andreasb, Aug 11, 2005.

1. We have a lot of Quails here on Vancouver Island, both we and the birds of prey love them. This guy was sitting on out fence outside of our bedroom window when my wife Melanie saw him and ordered me to take some shots for her desktop background...

D2X, 500 AF-S, most with TC14EII, ISO 100, F8 around 1/125th

Click on the pictures if you want to see original size (Slow!)

original.

original.

original.

A few more shots from today, It has been a lucky day! this is with the 300mm VR, Oh Boy what a lens, hand held with VR on mostly 400 ISO

original.

original.

original.

/original.jpg

2. I think your quail are more colorful than my quail. Nice image. My dog Harley will not let a quail anywhere near our backyard. He chases them almost every day on our walk. Your wife should be pleased with these images.

3. Thank you Gordon for the encouraging words, I'm trying hard to control the vibrations of the new 500mm, it's not easy. I would have loved to have gone to F11 but it gets so slow with the shutterspeed that I cant do it.

BTW our dog Pipppa, wouldn't chase away anything, she is a King Charles Chevalier, and welcomes anyone friend or foe...

4. I love King Charles Chevalier dogs. They are so friendly and seem to make great pets.

5. well as long as you are not giving her a bath.....she is a great dog, not a mean bone in her, and she doesn't bark ever:

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice Andreas. We have Dove down here, but not Quail. These are gorgeous birds. I can see why your wife wanted the shots. :wink:

7. Gorgeous shot as usual, I have been followign your posts regarding the D2X and big lenses now that I got the 200-400 will be puttign it through the paces

8. Not bad for 1/100s eh? Way to go Andreas. I think we are getting more and more California Quail up here.

9. Thanks all for the kind words, yes it is getting better but i can still see a little shake in the 100% magnification, look at the feather texture, with my current setup this is a good as I can probably get. After looking carefully at my setup I think the biggest issue comes for the stupid tripod mount on the 500, if I dont hold my hand there and dampen the vibrations it swings like a bell. Some one aught to tell Nikon design engineeres about mechanical engineering and vibration dampening designs... However i have an idea to fix this that I'm working on, a cheap fix (not involving a beer can :).

Frank (Flew) asked me to write a post about what I have learned about long lens handling and the mistakes I made and I'm working on that, hope to have something today if I dont get interrupted by more quails or other interesting subjects.

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey Andreas, definitely don't let the response keep you from shooting.... 8)

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice shots. Love the feathered hat they wear :>))

Good job.

12. Isn't that cute Gail? I too love the male's choice of hats.

13. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Beautiful shots, Andreas! I'm very interested in your post on learning to use the 500 since I'm considering a 200-400 or 500 as my next LL purchase. I know already that I'm in for a head replacement (tripod that is - although my wife thinks I should have my head replaced if I spend that much on a lens!). Interested to see what else I need to consider.

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gordon,
    Yes indeed.

I used to have many covy of quail daily, sometines 20 come through my yard. Never saw that. Never used a camera at that time either. How sad.

I wonder if there are different species.

I loved watching setting out thier sentrys.

Most interesting. I really loved my wildlife yard.
    So sad I don't have it anymore.

15. Cool shot Andreas, beautifully done! I didnt even know we had them north of the border, hmmmmm. Actually just got my first shot of a hungarian partridge, probably about the same size, man they are small. LOL.............

16. Thanks all for the encouragement, I'm plugging away on my little essay, hope to have it done soon so we can all get some reral advice from the pro's

17. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Very nice, and very unusual bird for here

I see what you mean about the everr so slight motion blur with the 500 shots. But, man, that 1st 300VR shots is killer! Nice going, and I hope to learn something about long lens technique after reading oyour writeup! Think I need some help in that area. :oops:

18. I'm with Steve that 1st shot with the 300mm is very sharp with nice detail.