A question about D200 Raw compression.

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Eduardoo, Jul 3, 2007.

1. With a 1GB card the D200 shows 60 pictures available in RAW mode without compression. When I turn RAW compression ON the number of remaining pictures is still 60. Shouldn’t the card hold more compressed raw pictures?

Thanks,

Eduardo.

2. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    What you see is normal. Set raw comression off, and take a couple of shots, and see what the counter says. Do the same with compression on.

When I do this, each uncompressed shot takes one shot from the counter, while doing the same in compressed takes one shot off for every two taken.

The original count is an estimate.

3. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    The software assumes the max file size that could be written, in either raw format, I usually just figure on 10MB per file compressed raw with the D200.

Add about an additional 80% to the figure in the window and you will have your number of shots "about" :biggrin:

Wade

4. RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    On my D200 I get around 500 compressed RAW pictures -- give or take -- on my 4 GB cards, even though the indicator says there is space for about 220 when it's first formatted in the camera.

5. This is the same issue the D70 had before getting firmware upgrade 2.0 - basically the camera is basing "compressed raw" shots remaining based on "uncompressed raw" sizes.
    Although to be honest uncompressed raw is one of the best things out of this camera, if you compress it, though Nikon claims the compression is lossless - this is untrue. The compression occurs by chopping the bit depth down to 8bit (same as jpg) instead of keeping the 12bit per channel we all paid for.
    The dynamic range is much better on my D200 than my old D70 thanks to uncompressed RAw