A question about large prints

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JAM, Jun 2, 2005.

1. JAM

JAM

Apr 30, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    I have been asked to exhibit about six large (20" X 30") prints for an upcoming art show.

I don't have any large print experience and would really appreciate some advice on the best way to post process the original RAW files to reach this size. Most were shot using the D1X.

I've read about several methods, including incremental up-resing, one-shot up-resing, use of programs such as Genuine Fractals, etc., but what do you guys recommend?

Your help would be really appreciated as I have to get off my duff and get this done!

2. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I know several folks who say GF is great. I haven't tried it, so far, I have been satisfied with upsizing in increments in Photoshop. I use a D100 RAW file and have been having decent results that way. Noise can become an issue, so a noise reduction program might improve things. I look at it like a 35mm negative, you can get to 20x30, but, you have to have a quality image to start with. I think there is no difference in digital in this regard, the original file needs to be optimal.

3. Check out resize pro at:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/RP/

Fred designed a plug-in for the major camera models. It works exceptionally well. Handles noise VERY well. I have it for my D2H files and 20D files.

4. JAM

JAM

Apr 30, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    I bought resize pro for my D2H and have problems with it. I doesn't seem to work on my Mac running 10.4.1 (Tiger) and PSCS2. The plug installs, but when I try to use it on a D2H RAW file, a warning box comes up and says it won't work with previously interpolated files. No matter what I try, I get that box. I've been in contact with Fred but so far it doesn't work for me.