A question for all the folks shooting small birds in ....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Retief, Feb 2, 2005.

1. their yards.

Are you setting up feeders with "natural" looking perches around, or are you just finding these little beauties hanging about? We moved into our new place the end of October, bad time to try to attract a bunch of birds, and we now have a couple of feeders out but no takers yet. I expect to start seeing birds in any old time now :) . I want to set up so that can shoot from my back door without disturbing the birds and am looking for suggestions on how best to set this up. Frankly, it will be nice sitting in a chair rather than carting 20 lbs of camera gear up and down hills, yes I AM lazy before Harris makes any wisecracks......

Thanks for any input, advise and pointers.

2. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    They Don't Like My Yard Either

In the summer we put our three hummingbird feeders and within hors we had 4 visitors. After that, we never saws another one and I even got stung trying to refill one of them (I hate things that sting).

We put out two bird feeders with the same darn types of seed my folks use 5 miles from here and not once did we ever get a bid...just squirrels up the ying yang. So many squirrels in fact that we now fill the feeder with nothing but corn for the furry guys and they love it.

It's always interesting in the spring to see where the corn crop starts to spring up in the back yard.

If anyone has suggestions for Bill...can I tag along and try them as well?

Walking through 3' of snow in the winter when everything is frozen in order to shoot bird pics just isn't my idea of fun and if I fell down and nobody ever found me my wife would get pissed because she wouldn't have anyone to empty the trash :wink:

JF

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Birds need nearby trees to feel safe

My feeder is next to a big Norway Maple, only about 10ft away, and several others not too far away, and I get all sorts of birds. I read they need nearby trees to feel safe when they get spooked. Of course, if you have a cat that goes outside, forget about it. Even my yorkie is constantly scaring them off.

4. Re: A question for all the folks shooting small birds in ...

Bill
    Hey there I just this winter set up three different type of feeders in my front yard, our dog roams the backyard so I had to settle on the front. I used three varied feeders to attract different types of birds, I then place some natural perches near them, some branches that fell during the snow, plus placed them near some natural trees so the birds had place to retreat to. It took about two or three weeks before the birds started to come but now I have a ton everyday. I shoot from my front deck and at first used a homemade camo made from a sheet but now shoot without it.

5. Re: A question for all the folks shooting small birds in ...