A Question For Illiah

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by jfenton, Apr 30, 2007.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    I know that this really isn't the correct forum but I know Illiah hangs out here....

My question revolves around a filter which might accomplish a couple of things:

A) Increase dynamic range a tad

B) Lessen noise in low light conditions.

I shoot a D2Xs and I shoot a lot early, late and on gloomy days and therefore need to shoot at ISO 800 through Hi-7.

99.99% of the time I'm shooting a 500 AFSII which uses a 39mm filter.

I sort of remember you explaining the use of a specific filter for noise issues but I can't find that particular thread.

Any advise?

Thanks in advance....

2. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    nd filter

3. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    A ND Filter?

As in neutral density?

My recollection wasn't that (of course if I could actually recall what was said I wouldn't need to ask :)

However, I can't see how an ND filter would change anything with the exception of cutting down the incoming available light.

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. One thing I never understood about the filter idea, which is fine for flash, is how one could make use of it in a situation such as Jim's.

The filter costs you at least a stop of light. So the light reaching the sensor is better balanced for a Bayer array, but there is a lot less of it.

6. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hmmmmm

Thanks guys.....

Are you sure that Illiah just isn't buried at work or on vacation?

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

9. I have tried it. And with the filters I have I lost about 1 1/3 stops of shutter speed or aperture.

In a situation where there the amount of light is the problem, I don't see how it helps. Jim has a need to keep the shutter speed up, I would assume.

10. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

11. I second that. The filter idea is to balance the light that way that the WB procedure doesn't have to pull up one channel out of the noise get the WB correct. If he doesn't have enough light in general, I guess this would be contra productive.

12. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

13. For some of my flash lit flower work, I have found using the filters and the Uni WB added an amazing amount of detail and smooth tones to shadows.

Still haven't figured out how to make a large enough filter for the Elinchrom flashes though. I bought a large filter mount, but that interferes with the softbox mount... argh.

14. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

15. I haven't, but will try those.

What I need I think is a CC40M filter I can put on the camera, yeah. I haven't looked lately, but recall I was unable to find them. For my tripod mounted flower work (doing a LOT of that lately - might be published!!!) it would be perfect.

16. Here was an example I posted once for Ilah to see.

This flower test:

ranunculus-85pc-uniwb.

Auto WB, no filter:

ranunculus-crop-auto.

Uni WB, filter on flash:

ranunculus-crop-uni.

17. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Is This Filter Available As A Screw In?

With the 500, the only option would be to get a 39mm screw in.

Does the uniwb help by itself?

Lastly...anyone have the file? I assume I could load it through Capture the same as any preset?

18. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

19. mallaig

mallaig

Mar 12, 2006
    If memory serves someone made a sweeping (derogative) comment about the ccTLD the RPP program is hosted at. It appears the poster has deleted it since Iliah replied.

I sure hope he's just busy, too, and won't be gone for long.

20. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I seriously doubt that you will see Iliah back on the cafe.:frown: