A Question For Illiah

I know that this really isn't the correct forum but I know Illiah hangs out here....

My question revolves around a filter which might accomplish a couple of things:

A) Increase dynamic range a tad

B) Lessen noise in low light conditions.

I shoot a D2Xs and I shoot a lot early, late and on gloomy days and therefore need to shoot at ISO 800 through Hi-7.

99.99% of the time I'm shooting a 500 AFSII which uses a 39mm filter.

I sort of remember you explaining the use of a specific filter for noise issues but I can't find that particular thread.

Any advise?

Thanks in advance....

A ND Filter?

As in neutral density?

My recollection wasn't that (of course if I could actually recall what was said I wouldn't need to ask :)

However, I can't see how an ND filter would change anything with the exception of cutting down the incoming available light.

One thing I never understood about the filter idea, which is fine for flash, is how one could make use of it in a situation such as Jim's.

The filter costs you at least a stop of light. So the light reaching the sensor is better balanced for a Bayer array, but there is a lot less of it.

Ed,

Understand your scepticism, all I can suggest is try it.
The idea works - try it, is easy to prove to yourself!

It even works for night scenes, again, try it to prove it.

Because it has worked when Iliah predicted it would, (eg night, flash, scenic, etc.) I would suggest it will also work for Jim's situation too although I haven't tried that specific situation, it's not going to be "worse" than a night scene, is it?

I have tried it. And with the filters I have I lost about 1 1/3 stops of shutter speed or aperture.

In a situation where there the amount of light is the problem, I don't see how it helps. Jim has a need to keep the shutter speed up, I would assume.

One thing I never understood about the filter idea, which is fine for flash, is how one could make use of it in a situation such as Jim's.

The filter costs you at least a stop of light. So the light reaching the sensor is better balanced for a Bayer array, but there is a lot less of it.

I second that. The filter idea is to balance the light that way that the WB procedure doesn't have to pull up one channel out of the noise get the WB correct. If he doesn't have enough light in general, I guess this would be contra productive.

OK, well I used a CC40M filter and UniWB for a series of night scene shots last year - and traded the lower noise rather than shutter speed - so, for me using Iliah's method worked just fine.

I'd be hard pressed to say how much gain there was, but it was clearly visible to the eye, and more so when post-processing.

For some of my flash lit flower work, I have found using the filters and the Uni WB added an amazing amount of detail and smooth tones to shadows.

Still haven't figured out how to make a large enough filter for the Elinchrom flashes though. I bought a large filter mount, but that interferes with the softbox mount... argh.

Yes, the effect is almost miraculous (for noise reduction, anyway) - hence my enthusiasm for the method, in spite of it being a faff at times to achieve.

Can understand your frustration - I've tried adding the filters to SB-800 - but ended up preferring to add the filter to the lens, when the source(s) permit.

Did you also try finer-tuning the filtration?

For some light adding a little (CC10Y) yellow helps, and otherwise some cyan (CC20C) - I haven't the filters to try all this, but am considering getting those two after finding CC40M so successful.

I haven't, but will try those.

What I need I think is a CC40M filter I can put on the camera, yeah. I haven't looked lately, but recall I was unable to find them. For my tripod mounted flower work (doing a LOT of that lately - might be published!!!) it would be perfect.

Here was an example I posted once for Ilah to see.

This flower test:

ranunculus-85pc-uniwb.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Auto WB, no filter:

ranunculus-crop-auto.jpg

Uni WB, filter on flash:

ranunculus-crop-uni.jpg

Is This Filter Available As A Screw In?

With the 500, the only option would be to get a 39mm screw in.

Does the uniwb help by itself?

Lastly...anyone have the file? I assume I could load it through Capture the same as any preset?

Sadly, someone/something upset Iliah - he's not been online here since 16th April - not sure why, wasn't around at the time.
If memory serves someone made a sweeping (derogative) comment about the ccTLD the RPP program is hosted at. It appears the poster has deleted it since Iliah replied.

I sure hope he's just busy, too, and won't be gone for long.

If memory serves someone made a sweeping (derogative) comment about the ccTLD the RPP program is hosted at. It appears the poster has deleted it since Iliah replied.

I sure hope he's just busy, too, and won't be gone for long.

I seriously doubt that you will see Iliah back on the cafe.:frown:

Latest threads

Top Bottom