A question of which one, 70-200 Sigma or Nikon 80-200?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Sauk, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    Which one would you choose?

It will be used on a D3.

Are they same in the end?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    What are you using it for

3. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    what version 80-200 Matthew - the newer AF ones or the older AF-S ?

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    If it is a two-ring Nikon 80-200mm AF or AF-S, I think that would be better than the Sigma option. I would shy away from the single ring (push-pull) 80-200mm lens.

5. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    I thought a lot of people really liked the push pull one?

6. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    It would be for sports and the upcoming bball season.

I use strobes for bball so low light isn't that important for me. But I would want the better AF system.

7. I have owned and tried the Sigma 70-200 older versions and version II, the Nikon 80-200 AF-D two ring, Nikon 70-200VR and my presently owned Nikon 80-200 AF-S.

I am simply in love with the 80-200AF-S. It is heavy and balances like a dream on my D3. It hardly leaves my camera. I cannot go a day w/o using it(or holding it:Love:)...it is in my blood! I personally rate this lens over any of the above lenses in any photographic comparison.

Not to cause a war...just my opinion!

Mike

click on image for larger view

wide open at F2.8

_DSC2212cropproperWB.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2008
  8. JasonL

JasonL

Sep 26, 2008
    New Jersey
    wow

great shot I am too looking to purchase a lens in this range,

9. I love my 80-200 AF-S D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. eparr

eparr

Jul 28, 2007
    S.F. Bay Area
    For sports I would go with the Nikon 70-200mm af-s vr :)

If that is out of your price range I think the 80-200mm af-s would be next. It focuses much faster than the af-d version which would help with your sports shooting.

My .02 :)

11. OK... I'm thinking you are going to buy one of these new, so that leaves out the 80-200AF-S which they stopped making back somewhere in 2003/4...

Both the Sigma 70-200II & Nikon 80-200 AF-D produce excellent results and you couldn't go wrong with either, but it really depends on what you plan to shoot with it. For fast action sports, the Sigma would focus slightly faster than the Nikon, but by how much has been argued heaps with no accurate data supplied. I picked the Nikon, and have found it to focus incredibly quick for a screw drive. I have managed to catch all an even extremely fast moving objects with it. But for me, the other features it produce meant as much as the focus speed, like the color, contrast it produces and IMHO some of the best Bokeh only beaten by the likes of the Nikon 85 f/1.4...

A close friend just got the Sigma 70-200 II so I've had a chance to play with it... It is nice and one thing it does better than the Nikon 80-200 AF-D is its min focus distance... The Nikon is approx 6' where as the Sigma is approx 3'... That can be very handy... But if I had my choice over again, I would still go for the Nikon 80-200 AF-D2-Ring... Just love it...
    Just my 2 bits worth... ;o))

12. I'm also considering this question. The 70-200VR and the 80-200 AF-S are both well out of my price range though as they'll cost you about £1000 'used' in the UK.

Ronnie

13. ericbosm

ericbosm

Jan 14, 2008
    The Netherlands
    With my D700 and the Sigma 2.8 70/200 (oldest version) the D700 locks up when i change anything to do with autofocusing. As long as i keep everything the same there is no problem. Non of my other lenses have the same effect.

14. All Nikon all the time...

Not sure that I would want to put anything else in front of a $5k sensor.

Gary

15. I have tried 70-200 VR and the sigma
    i own a push pull 80-200 the only reason i would change is if i up graded to the AF-S i just love the way it feels and it's IQ. I do have big hands and am a big guy so the push pull has never been a problem
    Just my 2 cents

16. on my D300 I find that the 2 ring AF-D 80-200 focusses faster than some of the cheaper consumer AF-S lenses that Nikon make, may not be as quiet but, it is fantastically sharp.

And for just over £500 it's a great buy

17. amf14

amf14

Aug 25, 2008
    Philippines
    If I may, is this the Sigma glass you're talking about: Sigma 70-200MM f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM AF?

I can't find reviews about this glass and someone's selling me a used one for roughly $510. Is it a good price? Thanks!

18. Here is a test of the Sigma 70-200 on a D200.

Ronnie

19. ericbosm

ericbosm

Jan 14, 2008
    The Netherlands
    I have the older version (without DG) i do not know if the newer versions are anny better in combination with the D700. With my D200 the lens worked perfectly.

20. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    If you're going to shoot wideopen primarily, go with nikon, but by f4 and certainly f5.6 the siggy has caught up.

The good thing about the siggy is you can get a new one with warranty and AF-S (they call it HSM) where brand new you can only buy the slower focusing Nikon 80-200 AF-D.