A question of which one, 70-200 Sigma or Nikon 80-200?

Sigma

I just scored a sigma 70 200 f2.8 for $425 shipped to my house. As soon as I get it I will post some results with it. Anyone know where i can get a Tripod collar for it? Its expensive at sigma.

I just scored a sigma 70 200 f2.8 for $425 shipped to my house. As soon as I get it I will post some results with it. Anyone know where i can get a Tripod collar for it? Its expensive at sigma.
The last Sig 70-200 that I had, I brought to Sigma for service. I brought it there w/o a collar. They gave it back to me WITH a collar.

It is yours.....PM me.

mike

I have the older version (without DG) i do not know if the newer versions are anny better in combination with the D700. With my D200 the lens worked perfectly.
Hi Eric! The lens the guy is selling me is the older version (without the DG).

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Can you please post some pics taken with it at wide open. Is the $510 tag good enough? Thanks!

I would go for the Nikon over the Sigma. I have a Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 and it is a super sharp lens. It focuses very very fast on my D300. It also has a limit switch that will prevent focus hunting. Thus, if you are shooting at a certain range you can prevent it from hunting at the other extreme which saves time. Don't know about all Sigma, but I have a 10mm - 20mm HSM and find the zoom ring goes the "wrong" way compared to my Nikons which always bugs me.

Yeah, the Nikon glass would be a lot better but it's priced way out of my current budget.

If the Sigma can hold its own against the Nikkor in terms of sharpness wide open, I'd take my chance. I shoot raw so color temp is not going to be much of a problem.

Hi Eric! The lens the guy is selling me is the older version (without the DG).

Can you please post some pics taken with it at wide open. Is the $510 tag good enough? Thanks!
I had the Non-DG version in a Sigma mount. Honestly, I saw no problem w/o the DG coating, none whatsoever. The HSM was very spontaneous, even in my Sigma camera. I loved that lens, and have read much that it was an overall better lens than the newer DG version/w macro...and lighter also.

I would not think that wide open open you will find much to rave about though, but nonetheless a great lens.

Good Luck

Mike

well thank you all for the advice! I still do not know what I want, but when the time comes I guess I will know lol

Both seem like they are outstanding lenses. I had a sigma 70-200 for canon and had no issues with it.

At 2.8 the results are good, at 4.0 and beyond verry good. From 170/200mm the sharpnes reduces a little. Foccusing is verry swift, a little bit noisy. I always found the lens to be verry good, its a pitty that i have these autofocus problems with the D700 Sigma does rechip older lenses so perhaps thats the solution to the problems witch i have.
The minimum focusdistance can be a bit of a problem when you want to make portraits.

I bought the 70/300 VR for my vacation in Wales because the D700 + 24/70 2.8 are heavy enough as it is and sinds then i practicly never used the Sigma.

I bought the lens and I'm impressed!!!

With my limited testing, it's really sharp wide open and the bokeh it creates is great. Focusing is spot on and very fast. I'm addicted to fast lenses...

No PP. Just resized and all wide open:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom