A question on insurance....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by olddogg, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Hi Everyone,
    I've been thinking lately about the fact that I have accumulated a lot of pretty expensive gear. No problem there; I like having it, and hope one day to get my skills in using it to a point that justifies my owning it. But it occurs to me that it really needs to be insured against theft or damage. I am not a pro photographer. I belong to no pro associations or anything of that nature. Homeowners insurance does not apply, as I am currently a fulltime RV'er. I own a house, but it is a rental for now.

Any suggestions as to how I might insure my kit given these factors?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2007
  2. Hi Jack,

Check out http://www.nanpa.org/insurance.html NANPA is the North American Nature Photography Association. The offer, through their membership, discounts with Chubb and Rand insurance companies. Even if you don't join NANPA, the links for Chubb and Rand should help.

Regards,

3. maybe check your vehicle (RV) insurance, it may cover stuff you carry with you....

4. Try www.groupinsure.com -- although they tend to insure gear for pros, they may be able to help you out. Great people to deal with and rates are reasonable.

5. Thanks guys. I will follow those links after a bit of sleep. Appreciate the help.

6. I have also been thinking about insuring my equipment. I have not actually researched the question, yet; however, here are a couple of other places that you might want to check.

Nikonians has arranged for an insurance package, for its members. You can check out the terms, premiums and insurer here:

http://www.niksecure.com/

On discussions about insurance, on several sights, it seems that many folks have obtained Personal Articles Protection, from State Farm Insurance. The premiums are quite low. I have never had any insurance from State Farm; but, I have dealt with them for clients, and found their claims practices to be less than comforting.

7. Hi Jack,

Suggest that you go to www.rvforum.net and post your question. There are a lot of full timers there and some darn good photographers, too.

We travel a lot in our motorhome, but do maintain a home base. However, I have all my camera equipment insured on a separate policy with Nationwide Insurance Co.

http://www.nikonians.org/ also has an insurance package they offer.

Chet

8. Adding a rider to your homeowners policy is generally not a good idea. You want your hme owners policy for claims for major losses or liabilities. If you add your photo equipment to your homeowners, a claim for loss or damage to photo equipment, will run the risk of having your homeowners policy cancelled. If not cancelled, you rates will likely be increased. This could well cost your more that you recieved in your claim. Also, a rider will likely cover your equipment for fewer risks, such as accidental damage (ie. dropping your camera), and will likely have a higher deductible.

It is best to cover photo equipment with a stand alone policy, written by a company other than the one with which you insure your home. Do not risk losing the coverage on your home, just to insure your camera.

9. Thanks Cliff......

Good thoughts. I have a rider on my RV insurance to cover some musical instruments that I carry. Don't think I'll try to pile on camera gear there too. Actually, I'm already a member of Nikonians. Bought a Markins ball head there. I didn't know they offer insurance. I have not visited their site much recently. I will check that out. Thanks for your help.

10. Firelarz

Firelarz

Feb 26, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    Good advise Cliff. I have read alot about the Nikonians insurance and do not think it is a good idea. Read the posts.

11. The main thing that bothers me about Nicsecure is that, being a US resident, I am a bit unsure about purchasing insurance from a company in Germany. No matter how good that company may be, if you do have a disagreement regarding a claim, there does not appear to be much that you can do about it, from the opposite side of the globe.

12. Firelarz

Firelarz

Feb 26, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    There are also issues that if is inside your home, the 4 walls, it is not covered by them. I have also read they are difficult to deal with.

13. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Nicsecure appears to have a coverage limit of $20K. No way that will work.