A quick escape from reality - Nafplio Greece (ADSL+ friendly)

Last week I managed to escape from my every day work reality, took a flight and surprised Ioanna. We then took Attiki Odos (Attica's highway with the newly max 150Km/h speed limit) and went to Nafplio, Greece's first capital city, now being a truly antique town.

(All photos taken with the Nikon CP S7c)

All of the streets of Old Nafplio Town are car-free!!!
original.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 85085

View attachment 85086

People and children have space to walk and play.
View attachment 85087

Beautiful buildings dated back to 1720
View attachment 85088

...some very nicely restored.
View attachment 85089

We stayed at the tranquil "Ippoliti Hotel", in a very cosy room decorated with furniture from Tuscany ( have a look http://www.ippoliti.gr/indexh_e.htm )
View attachment 85090

View attachment 85091

...with great old town and sea view
View attachment 85092

View attachment 85093

...and a relaxing private pool.
View attachment 85094

Not far (a 10' walking distance) was the old castle of Nafplio with its 999 steps to climb
View attachment 85095

The weather was absolutely great, mid 20s °C (~80 °F) and the sea was calling for a swim
View attachment 85096

We had a wonderful time
View attachment 85097

...walked all over the city and its sea side walking streets
View attachment 85098

...had coffee in more that 15 spots
View attachment 85099

...got some sun
View attachment 85100

View attachment 85101

...bought some "I do" gifts :wink:
View attachment 85102

View attachment 85103

...had our faces ...caricatured
View attachment 85104

View attachment 85105

View attachment 85106

...but most of all we relaxed!
View attachment 85107

More photos here http://www.pbase.com/pkazan/nafplio

HISTORY OF NAFPLION
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nafplion

During the Mycenaean era the finds in Nafplia region bear witness that the region was already inhabited. However the golden era of the region dates back to the Geometric and the Archaic years, at which time Nafplia was a founder member of the "state and religion federation" of Kalavria. Toward the end of the 7th Century, Nafplia was destroyed by Argos and the remaining survivors took refuge in Methoni. Later on Argos used Nafplia as its port.

During the Byzantine era Nafplion becomes the center of the then statehood. Leon Sgouros is appointed the lord of Nafplion from the Byzantine Emperor Michael Komninos. Leon Sgouros has to fight many battles with the Franc leaders Bonifatio Momferatiko and Godefrikos Bilardouino. Eventually he is killed and he is succeeded by his widow who in turn hands over her rights to the Lord of Epirus Michael A. Aggelo Komnino.

Nafplion then goes through a period where Francs, Venetians and Ottomans try to conquer the city.

As a result a many of the Nafplion fortifications were constructed during this period and mainly around the first decade of the 15th Century. Due to the fortifications Mohammed the 2nd gives up on conquering the city of Nafplion during the the start of the Venetian - Ottoman war. In 1537 Nafplion experiences its longest siege that lasted 3 and a 1/2 years. The siege finishes when, with the intervention of France, an accord is signed that puts an end to the Venetian - Ottoman war. In 1540 the Venetians hand over Nafplion to the Ottomans. With the departing Venetians many Nafpliots followed and abandoned Nafplio for Venice.

Later on the Turks give special privileges to the Greek Orthodox church that takes over a leadership role for Nafplion. During this time many Nafpliots return back to Nafplion. Amongst them are many artists writers and literate Nafpliots that had studied in Venice and Rome. As a result the economic and educational levels bloom.

Palamidi, the castle on top of the rock of Nafplion, as well as Bourtzi castle build on the small island, have many a story to tell, about lootings that went on and conquerors that tried to to conquer and take advantage of the riches of this small city of the Argosaronic gulf.
The many grandiose buildings that bejewel Nafplion still today, are there to tell us more about the city's history.
The Parliament building in the the central Constitution Square, Various parts of the city that remind us of the arrival of Ioannis Kapodistrias, the church of Saint Spyridon outside where Kapodistrias was assassinated and much more.

Lets leave Nafplion's history behind for now and suggest places that should not be missed by the Nafplion visitor today.

Starting from the "Paralia" (=the beach), the waterfront area where you may park your car without too much problem, walk towards Nafplion's park area and marvel at the statue of the horse bound Theodoros Kolokotronis, hero and fighter during the Independence war, who gazes towards Ioannis Kapodistrias, the first governor of Greece, whose statue is found in the next square. A stop here or at the next door cafe, under the untiring gaze of Staikos Staikopoulos, for coffee is a must.

Weather permitting viewing Nafplion City from high above, from Palamidi Castle, is also a must. Palamidi build on a rock formation rises 999 steps above Nafplion. The small bell tower, the little church of Saint Andreas as well as the prison where Theodoros Kolokotronis was imprisoned await you.
Do not miss the opportunity to of seeing the sunset by going around "Arvanitias" and ending up at Akronafplia, another fortification that protected Nafplion city. Stop here for a drink at the swimming pool area of the deluxe hotel that is situated here.

Nafplion offers countless choices of places to eat at. In the small street of Staikopulou you will find many traditional tavernas and traditional sweet shops. If course you prefer to have fish, then head towards the tavernas by the waterfront.

For nightlife there are numerous small bars doted in all the small streets of Nafplion city. Finally if your idea of nightlife is live Greek music and dancing you will find places to cater for your requirements along the road from Nafplio to Neas Kiou. Take care however not to miss your sleep, as the numerous museums of Nafplion await you in the morning.

The ARCHAELOGICAL MUSEUM in the main Constitution Square, the FOLK MUSEUM in one of the tiny streets by the waterfront, the HISTORICAL MUSEUM in Amalias Avenue, and an ART GALLERY near the central park of Nafplion.

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
That looks like so much of a nice get away! Looks like you both enjoyed.
Loved the characterizations!

Real Name
Phil
Beautiful set, and glad that you had such an enjoyable trip.

I had a brief visit there 10 years ago. The photos bring back some great memories.

Panos,

I LOVE Greece and the Isles. It has been close to 15 years since I visited Nafplion but all your scenes, except of course the bedroom :smile: , bring back memories.

My favorites are the tavernaa because for a moment they transported me there, with my family enjoying a meal, sipping retsina (not that good but you just have to), and calling the ever present taverna cats over for a visit.

Thank you.

Don

Panos,
I'm so happy to see you and Ioanna enjoying a little R&R together. You both look so happy and rested! I hope Lambros wasn't too sad he didn't get to join you!

Pannos, we were there in October.

Great shots and you captured of this little (G) village!

And yes, there are 999 steps up to the old castle!

Panos, what a great eye you have for picking wonderful places for a holiday!
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Who couldn't love your pics!
Thanks for taking us along on your adventure.
You pics put a smile on my face.

It's great to see you and Ioanna having fun.
(Yes, I often think you work too hard)

Virginia
aka beaucamera

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful Panos
Thank you for a great journey

You must have had a great time.

It's good to see you "relax" a little....

Now what about EGT07 will Ioanna come too?

BTW:
Say hi to her from your German-friends!

Dave, thanks, a much needed escape, too :wink:

Phil, Nafplio has changed so much the last years (to the better). I hope we can meet there one day (soon) :smile:

Paul, Nafplio=Naph-plee-o. The caricatures will decorate my bedroom soon :wink:

Don, retsina is "not" consumed in Greece by Greeks for the last 10-20 years :biggrin:, I think it's a tourist's myth like the breaking of plates in tavernas (dated back in the Zorbas film in the 60s).

Leigh, Lambros was having an extra cool doggy vacation with his best friend, a German Shepherd :eek:

Murrey, 1998 steps in total, 'cause you also have to get down :wink:

Beau, I really (REALLY) needed to escape from my office. However and since my Hotel and Nafplio is a WiFi town, I brought with me laptop (just in case...) :frown:

Gale, glad to be of "service" :biggrin:

Michael, Ioanna would love to participate in any EGT from now on :wink: She also says hi to all of you and she's eager to meeting you! :smile:

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

Somehow I missed this post, Panos. Wondered what happened to you lately. Does this mean there's a marriage in the near future? If so, that's just wonderful!!!!!

Your pictures remind me so much of Kriti - I must get back to Greece some day. Wonderful pictures, Panos. Looks like you and Ionna had so much fun. :smile:

B

BigPixel

what a colorful place. Nice pics and the characture artist is top notch!

Panos that 4th photo is really amazing with the ruins in the background ! Lovely view.

Seems like you had a great time, thanks for sharing :smile:

G

GastheerG

Very great report! Thanks!

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom