A quick post-processing thread...share our pearls or wisdom

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Vernon t, May 8, 2005.

1. Below is what the D2H and a friend pro taught me about quick jpg tweaking. I expect the D2X to need more subtle tweaks.

My quick post processing is:

watch the histogram in the first place. A "just right exposure" here leaves a titch of room at histogram right.

Ctrl-L opens levels. Drag the right slider to the left. Hold win-alt while you adjust the histogram and it'll show you blow-outs...some inevitable in harsh night shooting.

Ctrl-M opens curves. Drag the bottom left point a tiny bit to the right if you need to nudge contrast up and then a compensatory lift of mid curve rights it.

I'll credit what I do know about post processing to a couple of Shiraz fueled sessions with our local pro Reuters shooter who has a coast condo next to mine. He shows me what he can do to shots of the Spurs NBA games that he modems in at the two minute warning before halftime. Amazing , those serious pros.

Check the arrows below.

I'm doing all this with an uncalibrated LCD...dumb...some day I'll get serious.

2. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Good advice for a quickie edit

Now, you need to set up a PS action to do this to a whole batch of pics at once! ;)

3. Batching

I batch for resizing, matte framing or even USM, but tweaking exposure, contrast, WB ect. is so shot specific outside a controlled environment like a studio. For example a couple of my shots were complicated by some of the photo-hateful vapor lights nearby. Ctrl-b to color balance allowed my to bull the bottom Y/B slider over a tiny bit...with or without preserve luminosity checked...whatever.
    All I know for sure if that I aughtta' invest in a real monitor color balancing system if I want to be serious.

4. Vernon, this looks interesting. I'll have to give it a whirl and try it out. Thanks for posting this.