A Quiet Moment

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for looking!

I really like the second image mostly because of the framing of the subject by the window behind her and because of the tiny but important detail of the similarity of aspect ratio between that window and the cell phone. In fact, if the image was mine I would crop to eliminate the horizontal windows.

As always, a very effective monochrome conversion.

I really like the second image mostly because of the framing of the subject by the window behind her and because of the tiny but important detail of the similarity of aspect ratio between that window and the cell phone. In fact, if the image was mine I would crop to eliminate the horizontal windows.

As always, a very effective monochrome conversion.
Thanks for your advice, Mike. You guys are my photo education! Which of these two would you choose?

I prefer the additional height of the first revision.

To try something cute that I don't know whether it will work, use a crop that places the subject relative to the frame as close as possible to her position relative to the window. If it works, it will be a cute frame within a frame.
I'm not quite sure what you are envisioning, but I tried another version accordingly..... (it's good to be retired!)

I like the first one better. The vertical crop goes along with the vertical lines of the door.
Thanks so much, Alan!

I really like this "Quiet moment", Dossy!
The overall view in #1 definitely works for me as it shows the environment, also in the reflections. The environment is a perfect setting for this quiet moment.
#2 is a great image of the person experiencing the "Quiet moment"

Of the original and the alternative versions of this image, I like the #1 below best.

Thanks for your advice, Mike. You guys are my photo education! Which of these two would you choose?

1. View attachment 1647354

2. View attachment 1647355

I really like this "Quiet moment", Dossy!
The overall view in #1 definitely works for me as it shows the environment, also in the reflections. The environment is a perfect setting for this quiet moment.
#2 is a great image of the person experiencing the "Quiet moment"

Of the original and the alternative versions of this image, I like the #1 below best.
Thanks so much, Bart!
I was imagining cropping on the left and bottom to place the subject in the very bottom left corner of the frame, just as she is in the bottom left corner of the window. I tried that crop and didn't like it, so I won't even bother showing it to you.
Thank you for experimenting, Mike. I really appreciate your time and advice!

Can't make up my mind which I like best.

Nice to see the house as a backdrop although the lady is a bit lost in the image.
Of the cropped ones, torn between the first one and the last photoshopped one (nicely done btw).

Real Name
Carl
Very well done! I like the first picture for the complete range of tones, and the interesting Architectural details of the house, but I had to look a bit to find the young lady. In my never-humble opinion, a crop at the roofline above the doors, at the middle frame of the window on the left side, and eliminating the first door on the right would preserve the angular "hardness" and detail of the structure and furniture, and would frame and contrast the "softness" of the young lady. (subject) But, that's just me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom