A Raptor from yesterday

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Kevin Scott, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Yesterday, I met up with Harry, Gale and Trish at Viera for an anticipated fun-filled day of shooting. The place has been really hopping the past few weeks so I was really looking forward to the day. Unfortunately, the place was dead! We persisted but it never really improved. There were a few exceptions, this raptor being one of them.

Maybe since the birds were rather scarce the "gods of birding photography" smiled down on me and allowed me to be in the right place at the right time for a couple of occasions yesterday. This was one of them.

I don't know my raptors very well but think it might be a Red-shouldered hawk. He sure was pretty sitting there up in that tree.
    [​IMG]

I tried to move around to get a more frontal angle but he spooked and took off. I attempted to track him as he flew but wasn't confident since I've had difficulty with my D2x and tracking a smaller, dark bird against a busier background. So you can imagine my surprise when I saw these at home! There were 4 like these plus a few other butt shots as he continued to fly. I was really happy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any correction on the ID would also be appreciated. Thanks for looking!
    (Always forget to mention: these were taken with the 300/f4 + 1.7tc handheld)

2. great shots Kevin, the light is perfect, and they are super sharp. I shot other flying things yesterday. Look for my post later on...

Great job.:smile:

3. Rocha

Rocha Guest

Excellent shots Kevin! Do you think the improved AF is because of the firmware update?

Luiz

4. Excellent shots Kevin! Not a bad day after all!

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Most excellent Kevin. Looks like the D2X focus performance issues have been resolved if these shots are any evidence. :smile:

6. Thanks Harris! Sorry we couldn't hook up yesterday. One day soon again I hope! I'll be watching for your post!

7. Hi Luiz, and thanks for the kind words. No, it has nothing to do with the firmware as I haven't updated yet. I think I just got lucky. It's been very frustrating with trying to track this type of bird. I think the conditions were just right and I got lucky. I am anxious to update to see if there's any marked improvement like some others have reported.

8. Kevin the portrait is fantastic just spot on perfect and the flight shots are top notch also. What is the saying "a bad day at viera beats a good day of work anytime!"

9. Excellent images all. The color, focus and detail is very good.

10. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Darn good show Kevin! Those are all excellent shots. I wonder why Viera wasn't so busy that day? btw, got your PM late, but wasn't able to go, esp by myself, since I can get lost just going out of my neighborhood! :confused:

11. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Morning Kevin
    Fine shot very fine

Weird same thing happened to a little group out here yesterday as well didn't even see one Raptor and no fishing ! At least not one close enough to digitize

:biggrin:

12. great shots and love the frames.

13. Thanks, Steve! I knew it was kind of short notice but figured what the heck! Not to worry, we'll get a chance to shoot together one of these days soon, I'm sure.

We were all baffled why it was so dead at Viera yesterday. Two weeks ago the place was jumping, last weekend it was slower and yesterday was just dead. We thought maybe the hurricane displacing some of the birds was why it was so busy a few weeks ago. I'm sure as the weeks pass by, it will return to the incredible place that it always is!

14. Thanks guys for the kind words. Dave, I figured this majestic bird deserved to be presented with a frame around him! :wink:

Thanks for taking time to comment!

15. Kevin you nailed these, they are great. Beautiful bird and wonderful background.

16. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent Kevin.

Hunting season. They are hiding.

17. Kevin you hammered these shots! How much crop? Look like print quality to me ;)

18. Thanks, Brett! I did crop some but not very much. Less on the posed shot, maybe just to 8x10 format. Slightly more on the others. One of these days I'll get around to printing some of these shots out and hanging on the wall. Appreciate the kind words!

19. Awesome looks prety sharp and well exposed to me... Almost looks like a wall hanger the flight shot if you crop it a bit to make the little birdie bigger...

20. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Very cool shots Kevin...