A rare Pose (Eagle)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by hangin tree, Apr 22, 2007.

1. I have more than 2000 pictures of Eagles and have spent over 4 months with this pair and I have never seen this before. Enjoy.

fullDisplay.

2. Beautiful! Gary, no matter how many eagles, or how many photos, I love em all! This one is just stunning! Maybe he/she was stretching her wings a bit.

3. I think He is just catching some Rays

Thanks

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I think they do that to cool off
    Have you ever seen a GBH sit like that?? That is to funny.

Beautiful shot

5. I have Seen Vultures do it to, Dry their feathers and GBH do the same after diving for fish, but this is the first Eagle I've seen. There was a redtail circling and she may just be a warning

6. Here is an image I have with an eagle displaying that same behavior.
    original.

By the way that is a beautiful shot.

7. Thanks Jim

Yes I've seen your web pose several times, But in this one She is trying to express something. I saw a Redtail hawk circling and I think this was a warning position. I have her with a partiale spread as well and she held that position for about 5 minutes.

8. I think they have been watching the cormorants "drip dry". Cool capture, no pun intended.

9. Many Thanks Nick

I've seen vultures do it as well, but my first to see the Eagle

FrontBack.

10. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    I saw one of the dam eagles do this in 2005. I was thinking how strange it looked when the belly feathers came out like that. Excellent photo by the way.

11. I've watched them for over 4 months now and never once seen this display until this morning. I also saw the pair come to the nest with a fish and a osprey right behind them. No pictures they came from behind me and in the blind that direction is blocked from view.

12. joepilot

joepilot

Mar 21, 2007
    Richmond Va.
    If you didn't use deodorant you would want to air your pits too! Great shots of a mighty bird.

13. Thanks Joe

Maybe so but I think he left his zipper down also. LOL:rolleyes: :Whistle:

14. Hendrix

Hendrix

May 31, 2006
    Hongkong
    dry off the wing ?

15. I have thought that but She went to the nest then sat on the branch for over a hour before she took this postion

16. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    I have seen them use this pose for a variety of reasons, some I have noted include shading the eaglets from sun or hard rain, after a long chase or flight after hawks other eagles - getting rid of excess heat, and also when sitting and spying other birds off in the distance.

The sighting of other birds in a distance was a pretty common occurrence with our pair at the nest, I think it might have to do with making sure that HEY, I AM HERE! GOT IT?

Have you noticed the low head down near the feet with head lowered when the other mate is nearby and flying around? This movement was quite common with our pair once the chick hatched, and I used it to "watch" my back, when I saw the female lowering her head I automatically grabbed the 200VR with 1.4x my other camera to get a shot as the other bird flew in from behind me.

this is what I mean, the pair always seem to do this when the other was returning, Of course it could be as simple as to avoid getting hit too!

[​IMG]

17. Excellent capture.

Louie

18. Yes I've seen many of the poses when mate is coming or even when the mate is coming being chased by another bird. I've seen when turkey vulture started circling the nest The Call and attack from above. They do communicate for sure

WatchingYou.

Thanks Allot Louie

19. Hey all. :smile: Usually when the wings are spread and the belly feathers are fluffed, heat is being released. Don't know if this is always the case in bald eagles, but in some cases it may be. :cool:

Jen

20. Thanks Jen, for the information I've seen the full fluff and shake action I had never seen the Display with the fluffed feathers.

I have been told by several people they have seen this display.