A rare visitor to my area

JLH

Happen to take my dog out this morning and this guy came flying in. First one I have ever seen at our pond here in Louisville, KY. Luckily had my camera on my new gimbal mount just inside the front door and caught him on the wing. Lucky shot!
Yellow Crested Night Heron.....don't normally see them in this area.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I take a lot of photos but have never posted any here. My work is just my hobby so I can remember things I have seen. My work pales in comparison to the many experts on this forum. I never ask for comments or suggestions as I am my own worse critic. I know enough to see what I could do better! This morning I just felt lucky catching this guy at all.

JLH

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's a Black-crowned Night-Heron. Good catch.
Thank you!!
My wife looked it up in her Audubon hand book and thought it was the Yellow-crowned due to the plumage on its head (not visible in the photo) and its profile that matched the photo in her field guide. On further research it appears that during breeding season the Black-crowned also has this plumage so that fills in the gap as to the ID. Also the picture of the Black crowned in the book is not very good and the Yellow-crowned profile and plumage more matches the bird we saw. BUT, the coloration on the head is different. Thanks! We have never seen this species in our area so it was a total mystery. I was just thrilled to have caught it at all, the photo helps with the ID. :)
Thanks for the help with the ID!

Yep, that's a Black-Crowned Night Heron. We have both the Black-Crowned and the Yellow-Crowned in my area (small lake, really a pond) and for a while I was confused, too, about the two different species. They definitely share similarities and also each has its own characteristics as well. I often see the Black-Crowned standing on the rocks at the foot of our little lake and have been able to grab photos of him from the nearby footbridge.

Thank you!!
My wife looked it up in her Audubon hand book and thought it was the Yellow-crowned due to the plumage on its head (not visible in the photo) and its profile that matched the photo in her field guide. On further research it appears that during breeding season the Black-crowned also has this plumage so that fills in the gap as to the ID. Also the picture of the Black crowned in the book is not very good and the Yellow-crowned profile and plumage more matches the bird we saw. BUT, the coloration on the head is different. Thanks! We have never seen this species in our area so it was a total mystery. I was just thrilled to have caught it at all, the photo helps with the ID. :)
Thanks for the help with the ID!
Here's a good comparison. It's hard to confuse them :).
https://www.onthewingphotography.co...lack-crowned-and-yellow-crowned-night-herons/

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom