A Really Old Airshow - Bevo Howard - 1968

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by bobhoge, Aug 24, 2005.

1. All of your photos of the Chicago Airshow and the old aircraft made me dig back in the archives of some old slides I digitized several years ago. Since many here seem interested in aviation I will post a few.
    Several seemed to think the "Oracle Guy" at the Chicago show was a little nuts. These photos were taken at an airshow in Kissamee, Florida, in 1968. The pilot was Bevo Howard and the airplane is a Buecker Jungmeister. Bevo was a six-time world aerobatic champion in the 30's and 40's. The Jungmeister was really little: less than 20 feet long and a wingspan of only 21 feet.
    His act was phemonemal! On takeoff he would do a snap roll as soon as the wheels were off the ground. At this show you could stand quite close to the runway. He made a pass by very low, inverted with both hands over his head! Then he would return the other direction and they would have two ribbons strung between two vertical, maybe 20 foot long, bamboo poles, one ribbon was across the top of the poles and another maybe 15 feet off the ground. He would fly by inverted again, both hands in the air (again) and clip the lower ribbon with the wheels and leave the top one untouched! :eek: :eek:
    No one before or since has done that.
    Bevo was killed in 1971 when the engine failed after performing this manouver. The aircraft was rebuilt and today hangs from the ceiling at the Smithsonian Udvar-Hazy Center. Inverted of course :biggrin:

Here are my really old slides. When you had to hand wind the film you missed a lot of the action! :mad:
    Takeoff:
    [​IMG]

Snap roll on takeoff:
    [​IMG]

First pass with hands in air:
    [​IMG]

Return pass, he has just clipped the ribbon and just put his hands back on the controls:
    [​IMG]

I found a lot of this information at a Bevo website here
    http://www.bevhoward.com/Buecker.htm

http://www.strom.clemson.edu/strom/gallery/howard/

Hope you find this interesting,
    Bob

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    What is very notable about these images, is that the aircraft techology is primitive as compared with today's aircraft. Even the old aircraft that is used today has been updated with high-tech pieces and high-performance engines. The flyer in your images definately was pushing the edge of the envelope flying those old birds which easily could have come apart at the seams in a high speed turn or loop. Nice, old images...thanks for taking the time to dig them up and share them.

3. Hey, be careful using the phrase "really old" and 1968 in the same sentence...I'm having a hard enough time turning 37 this year as it is :biggrin:! Just kidding, of course!

The pictures are amazing...the man was certainly brave. I can't wait to show these to my husband in the morning...he loves this kind of thing!

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Oooops, sorry, Sommer. Hey, I was a freshman in 1968?!?!?!?!?!?

5. A lot of changes in air shows since then. Wow, did you ever have some dust bunnies on your slides.