A Recent Downtown LA Engagement Session | 12 Images

My wife and I are from San Diego, but we really enjoyed the chance to do a more extensive engagement session with a couple from Los Angeles. Normally our E-sessions are about an hour and a half, but we've been thinking about launching a new offering that would be around 4-6 hours and would be substantially more extensive (and expensive!) and come with an album. We shot for about 3 hours with this couple and ended up delivering about 200 images.
Feel free to comment-it's great to get specifics on how images could be improved :)

This couple lives and works in Boyle Heights, a neighborhood in downtown LA. We wanted to focus on their love for the city in this session. Thanks for looking and for your feedback. Lots more on the blog

-and-Juan-Engaged-Downtown-Los-Angeles-Reams-Photo-San-Diego-Wedding-and-Lifestyle-Photography-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Blog-51.jpg

Blog-1.jpg

Blog-11.jpg

-and-Juan-Engaged-Downtown-Los-Angeles-Reams-Photo-San-Diego-Wedding-and-Lifestyle-Photography-7.jpg

Blog-15.jpg

Blog-20.jpg

Amy-and-Juan-Portraits.jpg

Amy-and-Juan-Engaged-Downtown-LA-Reams-Photo-San-Diego-Wedding-and-Lifestyle-Photography-251.jpg

Blog-18.jpg

Blog-17.jpg

Amy-and-Juan-Engaged-Downtown-LA-Reams-Photo-San-Diego-Wedding-and-Lifestyle-Photography-271.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
great energy and good range of situations and variety, I think in another post you said about having one straight on looking at camera, we call them "mom shots" (i.e. we tell the couple we have to have a few like that because moms will like them) the other shot that could be added to the list is a ring shot of some sort.

Having more (as on the blog) I think gives a really great storyline which means even those with no connection to the couple will enjoy viewing them 'to find out what happnes'. Lots of creative inspiration for pictures, you might have taken one but the street scene with them, I always want to do a shot where passers-by are blurry with movement (yes I know it's been done a million times but I love the idea of it)

great stuff and wish you all success with the extended esessions :smile:

Great set of photos! I like how you can tell from the photos that they are smitten with one another. I also like the individual shots of them-- they look very natural.

Paul, you caught the details, their personalities, and different angles and vantage points. You KILLED this shoot. Great job!

Thanks so much guys. One of my favorite sets so far, for sure. They're the kind of photos that I want to shoot.

The one that jumps out at me is #10, specificaly the right image. I think a vetical crop would make it a little more appealing. I"m only nitpicking but the tree holder on the right (with the green) seems a little distracting on an otherwise awesome photo.

I appreciate how you incorporated the city in #4. I am going to go from saying the tree holder in #10 is distracting to saying the guy on the bike is nice timing.

I notice the smaller details.

~Michael~

Lovely shots. I really enjoy your use of the background and the variety of distances you put between yourself and the subject. The first image of the floor was a nice touch to the set as well.