A 'relic' -- Simpsons Bort video added

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by BostonRott, Sep 16, 2008.

1. In a breed whose average lifespan is 8-10yrs, Bort is vast approaching "relic" status. He will be 12.5yrs on the 30th. His pedigree contains dogs in the first few generations that are now typically 6-7 generations back.....names that those new to the breed hardly even know. He's still doing very well, my first dog and best pal! :smile: (And yes, his name does come from that Simpsons video, which first aired in Season 6, 1994).

He has the honor of being "first dog for a 180mm shot." :biggrin: :Love:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2008
  2. very pretty dog. and a nice shot. thanks :smile:

3. Thanks Scott! He's a wonderful boy, fantastic with my kids, and has helped me raise 5 other dogs from puppy to adult. I'm so happy he's still with us. :smile:

4. AgilityIG

AgilityIG

May 13, 2008
    Iowa
    Great shot Gretchen! He looks FANTASTIC! 12 1/2 years is awesome! Good for you and good for Bort!

5. Lookin' Good... 12 ½ Hey… Nice shot…
    So is this the 1st dog shot with your 180 f/2.9…????

6. Marsha,

Thanks! He's a great boy, I've learned SO much from him. :smile:

Yes, usually Vikka is my lens test dog. I just picked this lens up the other day (a trade for my 105 micro). :smile:

7. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    Great picture of your dog and does not even look his age

8. Wow, 12 1/2 and still looking good, way to go Bort! I am sure that the great care that you have given him over the years has helped in his achieving this milestone.

9. lr0868

lr0868

May 25, 2008
    henderson, nv
    Bort looks awesome for 12 1/2, very nice capture of him

10. Very nice shot, Gretchen. Glad to see your animal friend has lived a long life and god willing he'll continue to do so!

11. Gnome

Gnome

Mar 6, 2007
    Born in Europe
    He looks wonderful, full of character and love in just the right mix what a good "first 180mm dog shot" to have too, lets hope there's plenty more to come.

12. Thanks, and I agree! My 6yr old ***** has more grey on her chin than he does. :eek:  :smile:

He's had the 'privilege' of being my learning dog (poor Bort!). Some of his training was less than stellar, he's endured a yearly vaccine protocol (vs the minimal vaccines that I do now), and eaten some, uh, 'lovely' food in his time. I don't think he's too much the worse for wear......and being a dog with very low prey drive, I learned a LOT about trying to motivate a dog for training. He gave me a splendid gift, in that every other dog I've had has been a breeze to train. :biggrin:

Thank you! :smile:

Thanks Justin! I well remember a day when he was four, thinking "Is his time with us half-way over??" A rather morbid thought, and I'm glad it has been proven wrong. :smile:

Thanks!! He is a funny boy, especially if he gets sprayed with water (or perceives that he *might* have gotten sprayed).....he literally throws himself to the ground repeatedly and pushes himself around on his back, flipping from side to side.....like some big fish out of water. He'd go to the ends of the Earth for me, but oh horrors......don't bathe him! He loves to swim, and will even try to inhabit puddles. Apparently bath water is different! :tongue: :biggrin:

13. Gretchen.

Congratulations--twelve and a half--you must be doing something right. He looks much younger in the picture. No gray around the muzzle. My two remaining pooches are both going to be 13 in December (this wasn't planned, they are both rescues) and they are getting very gray.

Michael

14. I feel the same way about Raelin. If I only new then what I know now......:rolleyes: 

I have the opposite issue with Raelin in that her prey drive is so high that I have a hard time managing it. I can never have her off leash, as soon as she saw a squirl or rabbit she would be gone!:cool: 

I will have to get some recent pics of Caesar my Dogue De Bordeaux. He is now 8 1/2 and that is nearing record age for a DDB. Sadly their average life span is only 6-7 years.

Oh, and love the pic btw, nice balance of sharpness around his face and blurring the background.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.