A repeat question

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by Chris C, Jun 26, 2007.

1. I asked this before, but it was "inside" another question. I really need to understand about this.

When choosing the color profile in NX, there is a button for picking "intent". What do the four choices; Perceptual, Saturation, Relative Colormetric, and Absolute Colormetric mean? In his book, The Photographer's Guide to NX, Jason says to pick Relative Colormetric (for the end use I've chosen), but I want to understand the purpose of the individual terms.

2. DrJay32

DrJay32

Oct 14, 2006
    Colorado, USA
    Chris-
    the rendering intent has to do with how out of gamut colors are mapped to the destination color space. The two methods that photographers use are relative colorimetric and perceptual. The other methods will give odd results.

I don't have the full explanation off the top of my head, but if you pick up a book on color management, it will explain the methods in all the gory detail.

I find thinking about all the color numbers just hurts my head-- I use relative colorimetric and it works great.

-Jason

3. Okay, you're the PhD, so if the numbers "hurt" your head, I won't even try to figure it out!!!!!

Thanks for the response.

4. Thanks for the link, Conrad.............but it didn't take me anywhere. Could you please recheck it?

5. Thanks. This is one of those instances where I didn't understand a whole lot of it, but was glad to have the explanation!:biggrin::biggrin:

6. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

You tried, Conrad, that's what counts.:wink: