a ride on his sport bike

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by jxs1984, Apr 21, 2007.

1. jxs1984

jxs1984

Apr 13, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    yesterday it was finally a nice day in Rochester, NY. usually it is always cold up here. my friend decided to take his bike for a ride on that day.

i used the 50mm f1.4

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

feel free to c&c

2. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi jonathan-

i like the concept of both photos, but i would've used a wider focal length on the first one to give that exaggerated wide view, and on the second one to see more of the bike and rider. keep an eye on the background, the second shot is too busy because of the tree and posts, and the third one because of the brick wall.

i noticed that you slightly overexposed the shots, just curious as to why? and why did you choose f/16, i would've used something much smaller to take advantage of the OOF characteristics of the 50mm f/1.4.

and allan's question about the gloves was the first thing that came to my mind too lol!

ricky

3. jxs1984

jxs1984

Apr 13, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    thanks for the advice, ill keep that in mind. im new to photography and im trying to adapt to it.

the 50mm is the only lens i had with me. next time i will use the kit 18-135mm lens.

im curious about the exposure of the photos, i just thought its not too underexposed. i think i may be color blind... i could use practice. as for the f/16, its so i could lower the shutter speed to create a background blur. what is OOF?

4. Tell your friend I said "where in the living heck are your gloves???"

5. jxs1984

jxs1984

Apr 13, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    lol! ill tell him that.

6. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi jonathan-

you're correct, the exposure looks good. i was asking because you used manual exposure and spot metering, so i assumed that you spot metered off something critical in the photo.

OOF=out of focus, otherwise known as bokeh. in general, the larger the aperture, the better the bokeh. the 50mm f/1.4 is known to have good OOF characteristics. play around with the aperture setting and see if the effect is to your liking.

i can see how you'd want the slower shutter speed for the third shot, but the subject is static in the second shot, so you could have opened the aperture up a bit. it would've helped out with the branches and posts in the second shot, making them out of focus and less of a distraction.

ricky

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.