Critique A road less traveled

I just love abstracts.
Abstract show coming up, so just playing. I have no idea why, but this one looks great in print. Quirky enough to grab my attention and ask a couple of questions, sometimes that is all I ask of an image.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Gary

Thanks, this one is growing on me.
Embarrassingly easy. I was just playing in photoshop- great way to spend an hour.
Image is of a boardwalk in a forest.
Made a second layer, and hit it hard with a motion blur. Put a mask on the blurred layer, and painted out the boardwalk. Freehand, just a couple of swipes.
I made a series of these boardwalk images, actually was just testing a new 35mm lens. I was about ready to toss the series- I used the boardwalk to understand the depth of field at multiple f stops. I rarely shoot that wide. Instead, I challenged myself to do something with them, so I played.
I did this to several of the pictures, this one worked best for me.
I need to just play sometimes, love this stuff.
Gary

Quick monochrome conversion, I had tried it but liked it in color better. I thought the greens and browns brought it together.
LMK what you think. I like to learn how others see, and what they like.
Gary
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Wade, some really interesting work there.
Many of these abstracts are really just for the artist, what we see. I just came back from a trip to New Mexico, a great week. I like this simple blurry picture, that my wife does not understand, better than anything I have seen from my bosque trip.
Maybe it is madness.
Gary

Typically I'm not usually drawn to abstracts...this changes the game for me...Love the colour version. Have to educate myself about "masking" and using the technique in layered images. Never too old to learn. thanks for stimulating my grey matter..( what little remains :) )

My post processing is never long and involved. Actual post time on one of these images is way less than 5 minutes. What does take time, and in this case several days, was looking at small prints of the originals and figuring out what I wanted to do. Something was saying there was a project here, but it took me a long time to see it.
I made a small portfolio with 6 of these. Did the whole thing in 2 evenings once I saw where this was going. It has been very well received by some pretty picky local artists. Surprised me.
Art is everywhere.
Gary

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom