A sad trend in wedding photography?

B

brzerk

It has been a while since I have posted but here it goes.

I have just recently took up wedding photography. My first one I went with a relative and was not paid for but gained knowledge. My second wedding I made the agreement of 500$ for the wedding and a price sheet for the photographs, that way the wedding party could order exactly what they wanted. I took 325 pictures that day. I edited 81 pictures and ordered a photography book which I used as the proofs and also gave the bride as a gift when all was said and done. I walked away with just over a $1000 and I was tickled pink until I was told I could have easily made $2500. Live and learn. I now have arrangements for a couple more wedding this year I am charging $1000 and a price sheet for what photographs the party wants to buy. Yes I think I could charge more, from what I have checked into the going rate starts out at $2000. I am not out to get rich, pay for my equipment (it is already paid for) but simply try new things and better myself as a photographer. I also dont plan on doing wedding constantly just at my convenience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seneca
Somehow now that everyone can buy a digital camera...everyone can call themselves "a photographer".

I think anyone that is using a camera to make memories for whatever reason is a photographer. I think the person is who makes themselves the professional not the gear. I dont think to many people started out buying a camera for the first time with the thought "I will be a profesional" I just started taking photographs about 5 years ago. I am not close to being a big name top photographer but I am happy and so far the clients are. Someone made a comment earlier in this thread about photographing at a funeral. My grandfather recently passed away and was a WWII vet. I was a pallbearer and I did take my p.s. with me and took a handful of pictures and granted I was discret, I look at them today and they bring back great memories.
Sorry long winded.

well

From the Stranglers, my favourite musicians,
"
Hugh:

"when those of us who are committed to the creation of aural sculpture, can no longer sit and tolerate
the prostitution of sound that is proliferating around us, it is time to speak out. the musicians of our
times are harlots and charlatans, who use science without being scientists and abuse art without being
artists. we are witnessing the demise of music, so be it. the world must prepare itself to herald the advent of
aural sculpture, whose presence can now be shared with the fortunate few who have the ears to hear,
the vision to see and the intelligence to comprehend."

Enough said?

Happy Medium

I think there is a happy medium in the quality versus quantity debate. First of all, I agree with many that feel the photographer should put their best foot forward with their first shots they show the client. With that, I would edit and present to the client the quality shots that effectively capture the event. These should all be high quality shots, cropped and edited so that the client is "wowed" by the work. This could be in the 50-100 shot range.

As far as the rest of the shots go, I think that most clients would want to see all of the shots so they can find that one shot of Uncle John that they must have in their album --- regardless of the quality. The client should be clearly informed that this second batch of shots are unedited, and of varrying quality. If the client so desires, they can be edited, cropped etc. Furthermore, you as the photographer should be available to discuss what can be done to transform an ordinary (or less than ordinary) shot of Uncle John into a good or at least acceptable quality for incluision in the final album.

Latest threads

Top Bottom