a saturn is on fire

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by MikeR, May 18, 2007.

1. it wasnt until after the fact that i thought how much more interesting some of the shots from then could have been if i shot from infront of the car. that way i could have had the traffic stopped in the background, and all the fire rescue trucks, cops, etc. either way though, i like these two.

comments / suggestions?

emrcarfire03.

View attachment 96243

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Way to go
    Good shot

3. Nice work. I still get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach whenever I see a car fire. Must be a guy thing?

Rich

4. Last September, we had a training session where we simulated car fires. I took this picture quite by accident as the driver side air bag exploded. In fact, I did not even remember takin this picture until I saw it on my computer :eek:

Saturn_Boom.

As you can see, the headlights are on but there were no keys in the car and nobody turned them on. The fire in the passenger compartment shorted the wires and the headlights came on. The horn also was on the whole time. We had to remove the battery from the car to stop this circus...

5. Yeow! I wonder if Frank (Eng45ine) gets to do that neat stuff too?

Rich

6. can i say, holy ****!?! thats kinda cool (spark / lighting wise. but not if there was someone in there.)

7. thank you.

8. Don't worry Micheal. There was nobody inside.

9. J.P. wow what a great capture!

10. Seth

Seth

Jun 6, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Very cool - I saw a car on fire last night as we were coming home. Everyone was alright but I wished I'd had my camera!

11. haha i never leave home wihtout mine. nor my police scanner.

12. Hey Mike -

Take my opinion FWIW:

In my limited experience and observations, there are "news" photos that convey the immediate story and situation, and there are "compositional" photos of a news scene that display a mood, but *very rarely* do the two overlap . . .

IMHO, both of these shots are fine descriptors of the immediate situation (and are well executed).

Perhaps a different vantage point *might* have allowed you to better combine both, but then again perhaps not!

I really like both of these as news photos, especially in combination: the first shows the conflagration (with the responders on the scene), while the second shows the responders success in extinguishing the fire (along with the seriousness of the incident in terms of the "take home" message of the car's damage).

Very well done.

Eric

13. Firelarz

Firelarz

Feb 26, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    Mike, as a former firefighter, be very careful infront of a car on fire. The bumpers have "shocks" to absorb low impact hits, and in a fire these can explode and send the bumper flying. We are taught never to aproach from the front head on.

Nice images though!

14. awsome, thakns you very much!

im glad i shot it how i did, yet i also think i should have shot it both ways.

you learn from experience.

thanks agian.

15. thanks for the advice. im always cautious as to how i approach fire fighters (or cops) and where i stand and what not when it comes to fires and accidents. for the main reason i dont want to get too close that they tell me to leave. youre advice is a good reason too not get too close.