A Self Portrait

Discussion in 'People' started by LauraJohnston, Jun 26, 2007.

1. ponykilr

ponykilr

May 23, 2007
    usa
    You are certainly lovely. I love your style.

2. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

cool shot,,is that some kind of skin inhancer stuff?

3. you have amazing style and limitless imagination. Both of thse are what makes you so good!

4. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    A little heavy on the mascera (spelling). You deffinetly like things defferent. Well focused good lighting and composision.

5. haha. what is a girl to do when she's bored with a tube of black acrylic? :) thanks guys.

6. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Hmm.....kinda cool - makes your eyes pop.

7. Davo

Davo

May 3, 2005
    Las Vegas
    not really diggin' it.

it doesn't feel coherent to me...can't put my finger on it.

8. The basic single light is too basic and harsh. The eyeballs are too present, the expression is incoherent with what I believe the mood should be, and the teeth are distracting. The Black nose, totally lost in the shadow doesn't work either. The crop/composition is so-so but the face angle is not very good. At last, I don't think the black acrylic works... especially not when there's some missing on the top of forehead and the hair is too clean.

It's just a snap shot, nothing more.

(please people, don't be offended at the "snap shot" remark. You don't really expect all your shots to be art, are you? I know I don't)

9. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    A wonderful self portrait which shows a hidden side of your personality. Something I would typically see in a nice high end SOHO gallery.

Regards

RFC

10. Is that a take off of Michael Jackson??
    Great work Laura, your imagination is wonderful - don't lose sight of it please!!

11. Duschoolboy

Duschoolboy

Dec 17, 2006
    I can honestly say you have fun when you take pictures thats for sure. Neat shot.

12. Looks like You've got the creative juices flowing again Laura.

13. Davo

Davo

May 3, 2005
    Las Vegas
    clearly, you live in my head.

14. DarkGT

DarkGT

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Nice protrait, but you have a little something on your face.... riiiight there.... :)

15. ponykilr

ponykilr

May 23, 2007
    usa

I did not read where she called it anything but a self portrait. Don't you ever do things for the fun of it?

16. Paul,
    I do not think Ned was doing anything more than giving his valued opinion. He is not attacking her art. I suspect she can handle his critique.

17. ponykilr

ponykilr

May 23, 2007
    usa
    Nor was I attacking him. His opinion is like everyone elses here...an opinion and he is free to express it. To offend was not my intent.

I believe the photo was just a "something to do" project and was not meant to be taken very seriously.

I was not attempting to defend Laura, but to propose a different way to look at the intent of the photograph.

snapshot indeed.

18. what? usually i'm the one that's harsh...

I think you're looking at a totally different picture! This shot is awesome, her expression is awesome, I love how the eyes pop out and are looking for or at something, I love the look of the makeup - or well I'll call it makeup for this, and the whole shot makes me wonder what the person is thinking.

It's a really awesome shot!

19. haha.. it's fine for everyone to give whatever opinion they'd like. i actually am not offended, mostly because i did this shot very quickly because i was afraid of the affect acrylic might have on my face, lol. it was kind of lazily thrown together and i would not call it my best work, however, i do feel it says plenty about my personality. i'm not calling it an art masterpiece, a self portrait doesn't have to be art, it just has to do something to showcase your personality. that's all it is. and it was indeed something to pass the time. :-P but! i am glad that a lot of you like it.