A Senior Moment

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TomP, Aug 15, 2008.

1. I Just could not pass up posting this.

A STUNNING SENIOR MOMENT Apparently, a self-important college freshman attending a recent football game took it upon himself to explain to a senior citizen sitting next to him why it was impossible for the older generation to understand his generation. 'You grew up in a different world, actually an almost primitive one' the student said, loud enough for many of those nearby to hear. 'The Young people of today grew up with television, jet planes, space travel, man walking on the moon. Our space probes have visited Mars. We have nuclear energy, ships and electric and hydrogen cars, cell phones. Computers with light-speed processing...And more. After a brief silence the senior citizen responded as follows: You're right, son -- We didn't have those things when we were young ... so we invented them. Now, you arrogant little s***, what are you doing for the next generation? The applause was amazing.

2. As the young people of today would put it, "OWNED."

3. You just made my day--no, make that my week! :smile:

4. schwazche

schwazche

May 4, 2008
    Tulsa
    That's perfect... Now if, in my old age, I can remember it long enough to repeat it!

Thanks!

5. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Very nice Tom.

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    The problem with the story Tom, is that a real college freshman would be surprised to learn that man has waked on the moon, that space probes have visited other planets, that there is such a thing as nuclear energy ("like it that a new caffeinated drink?"), and probably doesn't realize that computers and cell phones haven't always just 'been there.'

(College students that I know here, are of course, excepted! I'm thinking of my students, about 700 of whom, I will meet next week. When I will try to tell them some of that stuff.)

7. jaymc

jaymc Guest

Am a grandfather and grew up with many of those things in the '50 - '70's! (Computers with lightening speed is relative.) :tongue:

8. Yes you are so right, I can recite Shakespeare from school, but can not remember what happened last month.

700 kids:biggrin: what do you teach?

You are right about the current crop of students, but each generation has thought the current youth were not very bright, my/our generation was said to be going to hell in a hand basket. But I am seriously concerned about this crop of kids. The schools are teaching them how to take test, not think. Teachers are boxed ion by rules and regs, there is not much creativity allowed of them. Parents do not teach them basic commonsense things at home. The youth spend too much time in front of TVs computer and games.
    Sports and other activities are structured for them, there is no go out and get up a team for neighborhood game, they do not learn to pick and choose, and set rules for that game, no interaction and building of character and common sense. People worry to much about kids feelings, there can be no looser, everyone has to get an award. Thats stupid, that is not life.
    My own children went without a TV for 5 years, it should have been longer. They went outside, and after chores explored and expanded their imagination.

cease and deists, rant of, Chris you hit a nerve.:biggrin:

Your welcome Nick, I will tell the friend that sent it it was appreciated.

9. dan1son

dan1son

Sep 24, 2007
    Austin
    I live in a young neighborhood (heck, I bought this house 3 years ago at the age of 24) and see the kids living around me outside constantly. They're riding bikes, riding scooters, playing football, skateboarding, swimming in the pool, and even playing flashlight tag late at night... just like I did.

My wife is an elementary teacher and despises the requirements for passing a grade (the TAKS test). She finds standardized testing to be one of the worst possible things for a kid and does everything she can to NOT teach to the test while still achieving remarkable scores for her students.

I don't think the generation is nearly as bad as some others think. The technology is definitely more advanced, but that's been the case for every generation as far back as you can go. Kids have video games, computers, mars explorations, etc., but I'm not seeing how any of those are a negative.

I definitely see the reason for the kid to be "put in his place" in the case of the OP and applaud the response, but to use it as a basis for negativity towards the entire young population is a bit rash. Every older generation has always had these types of things to say. As Bob Marley would say, "Every little thing is gonna be alright."

10. No wonder I like you!!!! :biggrin::biggrin:

One thing to consider is that young learners today are bombarded with far more facts and far more knowledge than we ever where. And it's only going to get worse.

11. I love it. As a matter of fact, I'm gonna use it. I'm just suprised that someone from the Geritol Brigade hasn't dispatched the PC police to disrupt the humor attached to the original post.

Oh...I forgot, the old farts around here have a sense of humor that isn't muddled by the righteous indignation present in younger generations.

12. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    ... they even accept us Generation X'ers :biggrin: