1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A Senior Photo

Discussion in 'People' started by cajun angel, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Well, I've taken 176 photos of this young lady, made a ton of notes of "what to do's and not" I thought for what it was worth this one was rather sweet. I know the rock in the front is distracting, dunno if it would be acceptable to crop it out? I should have seen that, but what about everything else?

2836207972_460c2b79df_b.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. i like this shot a lot... dianne
    i think that you did well
    i suppose that you should crop out that rock at the bottom
    ..... i'd like to see what others will think as well
    i love the selective/shallow DOF
    she is a pretty lady... and i love to see how much concentration there is on that guitar

i like it
    i know that SHE will, as well

3. also...
    i wonder if folks will think that some should be cropped off the top
    so that you don't see anything ABOVE the rocks

4. Nice photo, great post processing, but there is a slight shine spot to her nose that could be easily removed.. Agree to crop just above the bottom rock, you dont need it. Show us more of this shoot-

5. I agree with Spalding -- crop out the lower rock. I'd also crop halfway from the guitar to the side of picture to get a closer view of a beautiful lady.

Paul

6. Cropping would be a simple matter, just take some off the bottom and some off the left side of the image (as you look at it). I would also be tempted to take a bit off the top. This will lose nothing of any value to the image itself and you can still maintain the same aspect ration if you want. As to the shot itself, I like it and the young lady is well posed, focused and skin tones are good. Congratulation on a good shot.

7. Lighting looks great, but the separation between the background and the subject makes it look artificial to my eyes. Like you would've added the bg in PP. Might be just my personal taste kicking in...

8. e2blade

e2blade

Jul 24, 2008
    Peoria, AZ
    thats a awesome shot, never thought of using objects

9. nshape

nshape

Jul 25, 2006
    NB Canada
    she's pretty and that is a very nice picture...it really makes me want to relax! You really did good at capturing a moment.

Id also crop the top and bottom.

10. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    humm...I'm on the fence with this shot. You've gotten some good responses...but this image doesn't work for me. The girl is not smiling...her eyes are not looking at you, and the flash looks a little harsh to me. The water and rocks are just beautiful but it's a bit of a distraction; especially the rock that is framing the bottom of the image. To me...the two are competing for attention. Perhaps a more narrow DOF would've woked. I think if you turned the image to black and white it might work better. I do think you composed good.

You have the critique symbol up so I am giving you JMHO.

2836207972_460c2b79df_bcopy.gif

11. I think this is excellent Dianne and I definitely would crop out the rock on the bottom. Nicely done.

12. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Diane, I like it, but like the others, feel a crop needs to be done, much like Seneca did.

Why do I like the image, because of the concentration, the making music aspect of the shot. Something is taking place in the shot, good skin tones, and a nice pose after the crop.

Cheers,

Wade

here is a worked example, 8x10 crop which I like a lot, removes the distractions from behind. Added a levels adjustment to the girl to separate a touch.

[​IMG]

13. WOW! Thanks ya'll! I have about 35 "proofs" for the Mom and daughter to go through! Seneca, I sure wish you lived close by - I'd love to learn from ya! I can't thank ya'll enough for your input, I'm gonna try converting this photo to black and white, gonna recrop, and see how it goes. The lighting was definitely tricky for me, but we all had fun! I don't know that I'll post more photos as I don't have permission from the Mom. She does know that I posted this one - ya'll can bet on my taking notes and will be better prepared for next time!

14. Okay, I just went back and converted this same photo to b&w, cropped tighter, and dunno what else I could do. I haven't learned how to take the shine off the nose yet, but I'm getting there! Here's the b&w version for Seneca.......... Oh Thanks again ya'll!

2837391443_25c0cc6f09_b.png

15. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Well, I like the pose and the concept, but I don't like the busy background because it competes with the subject of the capture, but I have to admit that the tighter cropping does help. I would recommend re-shooting with this girl in a comfortable shirt with frayed blue jeans sitting against a tree in a field of tall grasses, a more classic setting for someone enjoying their music. I would shoot the image with an 80-200mm lens and the aperture set at f/5.6 with the camera in portrait orientation instead of landscape. I would shoot from a vantage point just above the tops of the tall grasses and assist illuminating the girl with reflectors instead of a strobe. In post, I would add Gaussean blur delicately around the girl to tone down the landscape.

16. Thanks Frank! Gotta scene like that anywhere? TX is a lot of desert and yucky stuff - at least around here! We'll be working on it, don't worry! I like the idea of a shirt and jeans better than the dress she was wearing, but I worked with it as well as I could. I do have a set of reflectors, just gotta learn the techniques for using them. Thanks again, big brother!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.