A Shooting Mistake

I went shooting last week with my Dad and brother in law. As usual my camera was along. My dad picked up my D600 and took a few photos, but there was a problem.

The previous night I was doing some astrophotography so my camera was set up with a high ISO (4000) and was set to Aperture priority. So the camera shot at 1/4000 sec. at 4000 ISO and F5.6. Of course, EVERYTHING was blown out. I could barely see an image, mosly just bright white frames.

I decided to see what I could do with them anyway. I pulled the exposure as low as I could go and then pulled the highlights all the way down.

After doing this, I kind of like what I got out of them. They definitely aren't anywhere close to being correct, but I think I might like to use this effect in some different shooting situations.

It turned out to be a happy mistake. I need to keep this in mind for some different shoots and see what I can come up with.

Shooting-1 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Here's a photo my Dad took of me getting ready to shoot my 300 Black Out.

Shooting-2 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

I like the first one. I’m guessing there was no snow on the ground. :biggrin:

Second one, for me anyway, would have been better cropped in portrait mode with a little desaturation on the beard.

You should check out the Gun Photos, gun action shots Vol 2 in the Miscellany Forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like the first one. I’m guessing there was no snow on the ground. :biggrin:

Second one, for me anyway, would have been better cropped in portrait mode with a little desaturation on the beard.

You should check out the Gun Photos, gun action shots Vol 2 in the Miscellany Forum.
I thought about cropping, but I kind of liked the desert landscape.

I actually did desaturate it 10%. My beard is actually pretty near that red :redface: Red beard, blond hair, I'm scandinavian.

Here's what I had to work with.

Shooting-2a by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought about cropping, but I kind of liked the desert landscape.

I actually did desaturate it 10%. My beard is actually pretty near that red :redface: Red beard, blond hair, I'm scandinavian.

Here's what I had to work with.
That’s not much to work with. I don’t know how you managed to bring out as much as you did. I’d have deleted it. We all make those mistakes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That’s not much to work with. I don’t know how you managed to bring out as much as you did. I’d have deleted it. We all make those mistakes.
I didn't set the camera up and my dad never used it before, so they were some pretty awful pictures.

I was really surprised that I could get anything out of them at all. That D600 REALLY has a lot of detail in the RAW files, you can push and pull the files to a ridiculous amount. I don't know HOW many stops it was overexposed to.

But I do like the processing somewhat and think it might be useful for some things.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom