A short, well needed vacation.........

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by DAVE VAN, Jun 29, 2005.

1. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Last week we were invited to spend a few days with my wife's old roommate from college at a house she had rented in Truro Ma., which is on Cape Cod. We all needed a break from everything and it was nice to be able to clear our minds for a few days and just have fun :D
    This was my first time on the Cape so I really didn't know what to expect. The house we stayed at was about a block off the bay and sat up approx 100' on a bluff. It awarded us with magnificent sunsets each night.
    original.

We were about a mile from Highlands Light. David decided that he would make the climb to the top with me. There was a 51" minimum height to be able to climb the stairs but with an adjustment of his baseball cap he met the height requirement.
    View attachment 11258

We were about 20 minutes from Provincetown so we thought we would check out the "sights". P-town is a pretty unique place with lots of restaurants and art galleries. It is definitely a place with many photo ops.
    Here are a few random samples from a stroll down Main st.
    View attachment 11259
    View attachment 11260
    View attachment 11261
    View attachment 11262

And one of my favorites; (I think the name of the boat says it all :wink: )
    View attachment 11263

While looking in a hat shop my wife and her friend met the "Hat Ladies" from Essex Ct. I guess they are local celebrities as they said that they had been on the Oprah show. Here is a shot of the ladies with my group; (The two Hat ladies are on the left)
    View attachment 11264

David and I decided to go on a whale watch trip while we were there. We were lucky enough to find a pod of Fin-back whales which are the second largest approx 80' in length just about a mile off shore. After a short boat ride we came across "Sedge" a male Humpback whale which they have been tracking since 1988. He put on quite a show for the boat including "breaching" twice about 100 yards from the boat. It truly is an amazing sight to see a 60' long animal launch itself completely out of the water. Unfortunately I did not get a shot of this as I just stood there with my mouth open in awe :oops:
    I did manage to grab a couple of tail shots.
    View attachment 11265

View attachment 11266

We all had a great time and would like to go back again sometime.
    View attachment 11267

2. I felt like I had been on vacation after looking at these. Great series and story. Good shots too.

3. Awesome first glad you got a much needed vacation second some great shots lmao at the Taboo shot and the last sunset shot was totally awesome

4. Nice series, Dave. Loved that second whale shot. Thanks for sharing your trip to the cape.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

P.S. The window and light house shots could benefit from straightening.

5. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks Dave. I'm glad I could provide you with a vacation. :)

Thanks Mike, I'm glad you can appreciate my warped sense of humor. Your comments mean a lot.

Thanks Virginia. The whale was a once in a lifetime expierence that I'm glad I got to share with my son. I posted these photos at about 1:00 AM this morning. I actually did straighten the lighthouse. :( , but I agree it looks crooked to me now too. I guess my eyes were not working to well last night.

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Awesome series Dave...I truly enjoyed them. Wonderful composition!!

7. That is the king of places I like to visit, small town, villages where there is so many opportunity to take great pictures.