A Shot At The Moon

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by aman17, Aug 8, 2008.

1. aman17

aman17

Sep 27, 2006
    New Jersey,USA
    Well I tried again.I think it looks pretty good.I do appreciate any comments on this.I think I even see some color in it.All comments are welcomed and I'm sorry to bore you guys but this is so addicting (lol):smile:

DSC_6663-1.jpg

2. aos111

aos111

Mar 9, 2008
    little rock ar
    Very nice!

Andy

3. aman17

aman17

Sep 27, 2006
    New Jersey,USA
    Thanks for the comment Andy

4. JohnK

JohnK

Aug 6, 2006
    Pacific NW
    I shot that moon last night too, it seemed like a good night for it on this coast too. :)

There probably is some color there, if you take the original and crank the saturation WAY up sometimes it will really bring out the blues and pinks.

5. aman17

aman17

Sep 27, 2006
    New Jersey,USA
    Hey John thanks for the comment and suggestion on the saturation.I gave it a shot and it looks really cool.Thanks

6. Very good shot Arnie. I like taking photos of the moon too but haven't tried it yet with the D300. What lens did you use?

Marlene

7. oz388

oz388

Aug 8, 2008
    calgary
    ya what lens can reach this close to the moon??

8. JohnK

JohnK

Aug 6, 2006
    Pacific NW
    500mm on DX.

9. AndyE

AndyE

May 2, 2005
    Vienna, Austria
    Arnie,
    as you asked for feedback.

Nice picture.

Things you could check next time are:
    • The southpole is overexposed. NX2 states that you used spot metering with -3 2/3 EV correction. Together with 1/320sec and f/10, this leads to the assumption that you shot with high ISO. If so, then you need to be aware that high ISO reduces the dynamic range your sensor is capable to record - hence the early blowouts.
    • As a rough estimate: with ISO 100, you can shoot at f8 and 1/200 sec.
    • Try next time to use manual exposure with some settings in the range I stated. This will help you to get constant exposures, independent where the moon is (vs. sensor surface & spot range).
    • If you see color in your pic, that's not a good thing. It's called fringing or CA and usually shows some limitations in the quality of the lens. If my memory services me correctly, the D300 allows you to reduce color abberations (or in CNX). Try it.
    • Heavy sharpening is usually necessary, just don't overdo it.
    • You raised contrast - at least I can see posterisation artefacts at the border between the bright side of the moon and the black one. Was this photo processed from a RAW file, or from a JPEG? RAW is recommended, it provides more headroom for these corrections.
    Hope you don't mind & kind regards,
    Andy

PS:
    I have tried it as well :smile:

D2X
    original.gif

10. I am actually anxious to try a moon shot with the D300. However, the remote I ordered from Hong Kong was faulty and I had to send it back.

ANYWAY, thought I would share a shot I got awhile back with the D70. :biggrin:

Marlene

119694818.jpg