A Sierra Wave

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Desert Rat, Nov 30, 2005.

1. This is the only Sierra Wave I have seen since heading up to the Eastern Sierra of California since May 2000. This was shot over Memorial Day weekend in 2000. We headed up to the Bristlecone Pine Forest for the afternoon, but got there a bit too late.

We had been watching the sky all day long while driving up to the Sierras. There was this one cloud that seemed to sit in one place and then just spread out.
    One the drive down from the bristlecone pines I pulled over on the road and setup and waited for this to occur.

This was shot with film back then.
    Tech
    Nikon N90s (Remember this camera?)
    Nikkor 28-70 or Sigma 18-35mm lens
    Film was likely Fujichrome Velvia (Remember film kiddies?)

Enjoy

2. That is a wonderful shot of a classic lenticular cloud.

3. Very very nice, Eric. The full size image must be gorgeous, I bet!!

4. Awesome sky!. Nice touch of the lighted far mountains.

5. Very nice. I've never seen anything like this. Well done.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    That is one gorgeous image.
    Once in a lifetime. Glad you were able to capture it.

thanks for sharing

7. Simply beautiful. Great capture.

8. This is awesome! And yes, I still know films.

9. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Way cool!

10. Hi everyone.. Sorry I did not get to look at this till today after posting it.. Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

I have made a few prints of this image in the past few years.. It looks quite nice when printed like a Ilfachrome.. When i had it hi-res scanned and printed it just did not look as colorful and pop with the colors...

Those Bloody Sierra Waves orrcur frequently, but everytime since this shot was taken I have never seen one... It has to do with a series of atmospheric things coming together over the mountain peaks...

11. Very dramatic shot! Bravo!

12. Thanks Kevin

13. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Eric, have you tried Laser Light for high end scans/prints? They are not cheap, but I have always found the work to be first rate and lack of color or pop have not been issues.

14. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Eric - lost for words on this one

Just wonderful - my favourite type of image.

Very best wishes

Ray

15. RForshey

RForshey Guest

Wow, very nice work here Desert Rat. I like this a lot..

16. FishSauce

FishSauce

Aug 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Stunning :eek:

17. neve heard of them before. I scanned the image myself, and also had a lab in Phoenix scan and prit the image...

Will have to look into it..

18. thanks Randy and Ben..

19. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Eric, I would assume you are talking about Image Craft. I have used them for many years, they are very good. Their digital prints are made by production-oriented machines, where-as Laser Light is a fine art operation and you can see a difference, as you should for the difference in price.

20. You are correct, before Imagecraft went wth the digital prints they made ilfachromes which looks stunning... When i went back for another print they had to scan the image and print it.. It just did not look as good as before...

==========================