A simple shot and a quick question.

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by regit, Jul 7, 2005.

1. regit

regit

Jan 31, 2005
    After this shot was taken, I saw the green "sunspot" for a good 5 min (no kidding). It is not funny trying to focus something small right in front of a rising sun (pretty bright, about f11, 1/1000s, iso64). I'm quite sure if I do this any longer, some kind of damage to my eye (the right one) will eventuates...

Now here's the quick question, how do you tackle this? Is there such a thing as a "ND" eyepiece? I know I could have brought my sunglasses, but it is not something I normally bring around...

original.
    Taken with Nikon FA + 75-150E + Kenko 1.4TC + Fuji RTP-II 64T

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I have worn sunglasses when shooting similar images...it seemed to work for me.

3. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Regit :

No offense whatsoever intended, but given that you live in Auz, I'm a bit amazed that you don't wear sunglasses. My last time in Auz, the public safety materials on the effects of the sun were pretty starkly mentioned, including the effects of UV on the eyes...

... and you do, of course, know that using a focusing lens (camera tr otherwise) centred on the sun can result in immediate and permanent eye damage, regardless of the sunglasses or eyepiece used unless it's a specifically rated item (e.g., welder's glasses with a high rating).

That said, I always have an extra set of sunglasses in my gear bag, with a pair on my head. I get sunglasses by the dozen, impact resistant (in fact, fully compliant with all safety requirements for industrial facilities, as I spend a lot of time in those places addressing safety and environmental issues), UV/A and UV/B rated for minimal transmittance, with full wraparound. My D100 has a rubber eyecup that I can smush the sunglasses into when there's a lot of ambient light or flare.

I'm sure you could get an insert for your eyepiece that could be somewhat resistant to the flare, but honestly, would you want to be fussing with changing out an eyepiece when a photo opportunity arises, or just pull out a pair of sunglasses ?

IMO, anyway.

John P.

P.S. You have a PM from me as well.

4. regit

regit

Jan 31, 2005
    Thanks, Frank; that's one vote for sunglasses.

5. regit

regit

Jan 31, 2005
    The problem is, I always lose them when I use them!!! Also, I constantly find myself flipping up and down so I can see what the camera sees.... But ditto, in retrospect, sunglasses are indeed better then changing eyepiece (what was I thinking...) ... ok, 2 votes for sunglasses ... one more strike and I'm out :)

6. regit

regit

Jan 31, 2005
    BTW, did you receive my reply to your PM? Seems like it is hanging in the "outbox" and not moving to the "sentbox", hhmmmmm.... I'll check back later...

7. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Regit :

Response sent. PM runs a little... oddly... sometimes.

John P.

8. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    aside from your eyes...isn't there some sort of warning about exposing the sensor to direct sunlight via the lens?

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Regit,

Dispite alllll.

That is an absolutely stunning image...

Well done and money shot for sure.

Be careful, my Friend :>))

10. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I tend to go by a less scientific approach. If it hurts my eyes to look at it, it isn't any good for them. If it doesn't hurt, then it's not a big deal. The human eye is a marvel, and in the shot you display, it is obvious that the sun is at a very low angle and thus greatly filtered thru more atmosphere than it would be if overhead. Nice photo!

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hey Baywing,

I have been having trouble with posts also.

You can open your post...edit and delete the "extras" :>)))

Been very slow for me today for some reason.

(must be a stuck whale tail) :>)))))