A slight glitch in my presentation of images....

Today I fired up the Mac Pro ready to upload my images from the GTG and oops, there was a glitch. The computer was not always booting up correctly, suggesting problems with the start-up hard drive. Uh-oh..... Once the thing was running correctly I immediately backed up all my images which were on it and also ran a disk utility check. Had to go out for a while this evening and I've got a busy weekend ahead so am thinking that I might not get to actually upload and begin processing my images until late Sunday or at the beginning of next week! :frown: First item of business is to make a clone of my HD, which is the bootup drive, and then from there do some swapping around so that I am sure that I have a more reliable drive before I upload those images. I have them still on the CF cards and also on my external drives that I had with me on the trip and could process them on one of my other machines but really prefer to use my Mac Pro for this. So stay tuned, folks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So am I!!!!! I have not yet even really viewed them because down in Alabama it took a while to upload them and back them up on the various external HDs and by that time I was tired so didn't take time to even run them through Photo Mechanic for a look.....and now I'm home and did have the time today to at least get started but the Mac Pro decides to be ornery!!!! AGGGH!!!!

Bummer, Connie. I will be looking forward to your photos. Patrick will be home tomorrow so if you need anything, just give us a yell.

Frustrating part is that I have to work tomorrow and then tomorrow evening I need to go shopping for a birthday gift for a friend, so I won't be home until later to tinker with the machine again. I'd like to at least download and install SuperDuper and run it. On Sunday it's off to celebrate my friend's birthday so I probably won't be able to do anything much until in the evening, if then.....

So why am I not doing some of this right now? Because I live in a condo and there is a neighbor below me I usually have to stop working on the Mac Pro (the workstation is located in my living room, which unfortunately is above her bedroom) at around 10:00 PM each night. At times when I have a situation where I really need to be able to keep using the machine, such as this evening, it's very frustrating! I've thought about moving the Mac Pro into one of the bedrooms but for a few reasons that just isn't practical, unfortunately.

Oh, well, stay tuned....I'll get the images processed eventually!!!

Hey Connie. I am sorry you are having problems with you Mac Pro. I saw your thread in the Apple forum last night and I was hoping for a better outcome. Don't sweat not being able to get images processed...just as long as they are safe...plus, I would personally like to keep the 4th annual forum dragging out a bit. It will eventually die down and we will have to start waiting for next year.

My baby is going to be taking a little trip to the Genius Bar....

Today I tried to turn the Mac Pro on and nothing happened. Nada. Zilch! It may be more than just the HD gone bad, so I rang up Apple Care. The woman listened to my description of the issues and recommended that I take the machine in to the Apple Store's Genius Bar. Urgh!!!! The thing weighs about half what I do, so it's not going to be easy wrestling her in-and-out of the house and the car....

Anyway, not sure how long it will be until I've got my baby up and running properly again. Darn it!

Today I tried to turn the Mac Pro on and nothing happened. Nada. Zilch! It may be more than just the HD gone bad, so I rang up Apple Care. The woman listened to my description of the issues and recommended that I take the machine in to the Apple Store's Genius Bar. Urgh!!!! The thing weighs about half what I do, so it's not going to be easy wrestling her in-and-out of the house and the car....

Anyway, not sure how long it will be until I've got my baby up and running properly again. Darn it!
I'm so sorry to hear this, Connie. I know you are wanting your baby well again...hopefully it won't take them long to fix her.

Would you like to borrow that cart I have which you transported for me to and from Alabama?

Thanks, Leigh and Rich! I have a similar cart, actually.....today I had to do some other things so didn't make an appointment at the Genius Bar, but tomorrow I'll be setting up an appointment and then wrestling with the machine and my cart to get it out to the car and over there.... Wouldn't you know, of all the machines I have, the one which is the heaviest and largest is the one with problems? Couldn't be the lightweight little MBA, oh, nooooo.....

No progress yet....too darned hot outside!

I have at least managed to get the Mac Pro on to the wheeled cart but it is so beastly hot outside that it is not a good day to be wrestling the machine out to the car and into the car. Tomorrow I have other things to do so won't be able to get the machine over to the Genius Bar until Thursday or Friday, when hopefully it will be significantly cooler.....

Rich did the heavy lifting this morning and we delivered my Mac Pro to the knowledgeable hands and minds of the guys at the Apple Store's Genius Bar.....it may be a few days before she's back home again. They did a quick assessment and determined that the problem was more complex than simply a HD gone bad. It may be the logic board or power supply or something else.....

Mac Pro home again and working just fine!

We picked her up yesterday at the Apple store and I checked her out once hooked back up to everything at home....works just fine! Unfortunately we have had interruptions by thunderstorms and also I have had a lot of other things to do and so still have not gotten to uploading and beginning work on my images. I'll be away at the weekend so it looks as though it's not going to be until next week that I finally get to them.....

I have images to share, I really do -- just need to get them into the computer!!!!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom